Safety and Initial Efficacy Study of the Vortx Rx for Treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (Canada)
This study has been withdrawn prior to enrollment.
First Posted: January 25, 2013
Last Update Posted: August 19, 2015
Information provided by (Responsible Party):
The HistoSonics' Histotripsy BPH Device, the Vortx Rx, is a portable ultrasound therapy device. The purpose of this study is to assess and monitor the performance of the Vortx Rx for initial safety and efficacy for the treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia.
|Study Design:||Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: None (Open Label)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Safety and Initial Efficacy Study of the Vortx Rx for Treatment of Benign Prostatic Hyperplasia (Canada)|
Resource links provided by NLM:
Further study details as provided by HistoSonics, Inc.:
Primary Outcome Measures:
- Number of participants with adverse events [ Time Frame: Up to 6 months ]
- Record and report all adverse events.
- Determine rate of occurrence of adverse events,serious adverse events and device-related adverse events as a measure of safety and as factors used to determine study success.
Secondary Outcome Measures:
- Assess initial prostate histotripsy treatment efficacy [ Time Frame: Up to six months ]
- Change in Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms [LUTS], International Prostate Symptom Score [IPSS], uroflow (Qmax), post-void residual (PVR). Each to be measured at 1, 3 and 6 months post-treatment
- Change in prostate parenchymal volume including TRUS and Prostate-Specific Antigen [PSA]. TRUS to be performed at end of treatment and at 6 months post-treatment. PSA to be tested at 6 months post-treatment.
|Study Start Date:||June 2013|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||June 2014 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: Vortx Rx - Histotripsy BPH Device
The Vortx Rx, is a portable ultrasound therapy device system that is intended for the treatment of BPH by using very intense, low duty-cycle ultrasound pulses to debulk prostatic tissue.
Device: Vortx Rx - Histotripsy BPH Device
Non-invasive histotripsy treatment / therapy to be delivered by surgeon using very low duty cycle ultrasound pulses from outside the patient's body. These pulses form a bubble cloud at the focal area within the prostate which mechanically breaks up the cellular structure of the soft tissue. During treatment, a surgeon is able to direct the bubble cloud throughout the targeted volume using controls located on the device console and using the real-time ultrasound for visualization feedback and control of the bubble cloud location.
Other Name: HistoSonics Histotripsy BPH Device
Contacts and Locations
No Contacts or Locations Provided