Functional Implications of Arthroscopic Iliopsoas Release
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01763372|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 8, 2013
Last Update Posted : August 15, 2016
The purpose of this study is to investigate the functional effects of arthroscopic iliopsoas release. To complete this aim, we will recruit patients who have undergone arthroscopic iliopsoas release by Dr. Aoki. Each subjects contralateral nonoperative hip will serve as their own control. To delineate the effects of arthroscopic surgery alone from those resulting from iliopsoas release in addition to arthroscopic surgery, we will recruit a second control group consisting of patients who have undergone arthroscopic surgery by Dr. Aoki without iliopsoas release.
For both hips of each subject, we will:
- Quantify the muscle volume of the iliopsoas muscle with MRI.
- Quantify hip flexion strength with isokinetic dynamometry.
- Quantify patient function and satisfaction with functional outcome surveys.
This data will allow us to test the following hypotheses:
- Compared to the non-operative hip, hips undergoing arthroscopic iliopsoas release have decreased iliopsoas muscle volume and hip flexion strength.
- Compared to hips undergoing arthroscopic surgery without iliopsoas release, hips undergoing arthroscopic iliopsoas release have decreased iliopsoas muscle volume and hip flexion strength.
- Patient function and satisfaction positively correlates to muscle bulk and strength.
|Condition or disease|
|Arthroscopic Iliopsoas Release|
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||36 participants|
|Observational Model:||Case Control|
|Official Title:||Functional Implications of Arthroscopic Iliopsoas Release|
|Study Start Date :||September 2012|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||February 2016|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||February 2016|
- Muscle Volume [ Time Frame: 1 yr post op ]
- Hip Flexion Strength [ Time Frame: 1 yr post op ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01763372
|Principal Investigator:||Stephen Aoki||Orthopedic Surgery Operations|