Combination Therapy of Antibody Hu3F8 With Granulocyte- Macrophage Colony Stimulating Factor (GM-CSF) in Patients With Relapsed/Refractory High-Risk Neuroblastoma
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01757626|
Recruitment Status : Active, not recruiting
First Posted : December 31, 2012
Last Update Posted : May 3, 2022
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Neuroblastoma||Biological: Hu3F8 With GM-CSF||Phase 1 Phase 2|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||186 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Phase I/II Study of Combination Therapy of Antibody Hu3F8 With Granulocyte- Macrophage Colony Stimulating Factor (GM-CSF) in Patients With Relapsed/Refractory High-Risk Neuroblastoma|
|Study Start Date :||December 2012|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||December 2023|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||December 2023|
Experimental: Hu3F8 with GM-CSF
The phase I single arm trial assesses escalating doses of iv hu3F8 (days 1, 3, 5) in the presence of sc GM-CSF (day -4 through 5). These 3 doses of hu3F8 and 10 days of GM-CSF constitute a treatment cycle. The expansion phase II single arm trial assesses the anti-NB activity of hu3F8+GM-CSF.in 3 groups of patients: Group 1 patients have primary refractory disease (no prior relapse but incomplete response to treatment) in BM as documented by histology and/or 123I-MIBG scan. Group 2 patients are in ≥2nd CR and at high risk for another relapse. Group 3 patients have secondary refractory disease (prior relapse and incomplete response to retrieval therapy) in BM as documented by histology and/or 123I-MIBG scan. Ph II: Groups 1 & 3 pts can continue to get cycles every 1-2 months for up to 24 months from study enrollment or until they receive 5 cycles after a major response (CR or PR) is achieved.
Biological: Hu3F8 With GM-CSF
Ph I: 1 cycle consists of treatment with hu3F8 for 3 days (day 1, 3 & 5). GM-CSF starts 5 days in advance of each hu3F8 cycle at 250 mcg/m^2/day (day -4 to day 0), & at 500 mcg/m^2/day x 5 days (day 1 to day 5). Hu3F8 cycles are 5 days. Ph II pts may receive treatment on a modified schedule of 3 doses of IV hu3F8 over a maximum of 10 days, as needed. With modified schedules of hu3F8, GM-CSF will be administered at 250 mcg/m2/day x5 days before the 1st dose of hu3F8, as with the standard schedule, but then GM-CSF at 500 mcg/m2/day will be administered on day of the 1st dose of hu3F8, on the day before and on the day of the 2nd dose of hu3F8, and on the day before and on the day of the 3rd dose of hu3F8. Cycles are repeated at 2-4 week intervals between 1st days of hu3F8, through 4 cycles. Pts who complete 4 cycles of treatment w/o complications or disease progression have the option of continuing treatment for up to 24 months from their 1st dose of hu3F8.
Experimental: expansion phase II single arm trial
Group 1 patients have primary refractory disease (no prior relapse but incomplete response to treatment) in BM as documented by histology and/or 123^I-MIBG scan. Group 2 patients are in >2nd CR/VGPR and at high risk for another relapse. Group 3 patients have secondary refractory disease (prior relapse and incomplete response to retrieval therapy) in BM as documented by histology and/or 123^I-MIBG scan. GM-CSF can be omitted if patients have a history of an allergy to GM-CSF or develop an allergic reaction to GM-CSF after initiating therapy while on the protocol.
Biological: Hu3F8 With GM-CSF
As determined by the phase I component of the study, the hu3F8 dosage in the phase II portion is 3 mg/kg/day. Patients who were treated in the phase I component are eligible for treatment in the phase II portion. Cycles are repeated approximately monthly through 5 cycles. Group 1 and Group 3 patients can continue to receive cycles every 1-2 months for up to 24 months from study enrollment or until they receive 5 cycles after a major response (CR or PR) is achieved, whichever comes first. If HAHA becomes (+), cycles are deferred until it becomes (-) again. Patients who develop HAHA which precludes timely treatments with hu3F8+GM-CSF are eligible to receive low-dose maintenance regimens such as irinotecan alone,61 temozolomide alone,62 irinotecan-temozolomide,63 or cyclophosphamide-topotecan.64 They can also receive anti-HAHA agents such as rituximab and cyclophosphamide. They resume treatment with hu3F8+ GM-CSF if HAHA becomes negative. Patients may receive local radiation therapy.
- maximum tolerated dosage [ Time Frame: 1 year ]hu3F8 when combined with GM-CSF. DLT is defined after 1 cycle. Seventeen dosage levels of hu3F8 will be tested with three to six patients at each dosage level.
- assess the toxicity [ Time Frame: 1 year ]of the humanized anti GD2 antibody hu3F8 when combined with Granulocyte-Macrophage Colony Stimulating Factor (GM-CSF) in patients with high risk neuroblastoma. All observed adverse events, regardless of treatment group or suspected causal relationship to study drug will be recorded. Adverse events will be identified and graded using the Common Toxicity Criteria Version 4.0
- pharmacokinetics of hu3F8 [ Time Frame: 1 year ](Phase I) when combined with GM-CSF. Pharmacokinetics will be measured by serial blood sampling following the first two iv doses of hu3F8 as listed in Table 3. Serum hu3F8 will be measured pre-infusion and at time pre- (within an hour before hu3F8), 5 min, 3h, 6-8h, 24h, 48h, 72h, 96, 120h, 168h 216h and 264h after the first infusion of hu3F8 during cycle1 and, whenever possible, peak hu3F8 level at pre- and ~5 minutes post-infusion will also be measured for each dose of hu3F8 in subsequent cycles .
- assess activity of hu3F8 plus GM-CSF against HR-NB [ Time Frame: 2 years ]Another secondary objective is to assess the anti-tumor activity of hu3F8 against NB and other GD2-positive tumors. Anti-tumor activity will be measured by international neuroblastoma response criteria (INRC).
- quantitate the response of marrow NB [ Time Frame: 1 year ]will be measured using quantitative Reverse transcription-PCR (qRTPCR) and its relationship with dosage of hu3F8 explored.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01757626
|United States, New York|
|Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center|
|New York, New York, United States, 10065|
|Principal Investigator:||Brian Kushner, MD||Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center|