Prevalence and Progression of Periodontitis in Ankylosing Spondylitis
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01750528|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : December 17, 2012
Last Update Posted : June 10, 2014
Our hypotheses on the relationship between periodontitis and AS are as follows;
- The prevalence of periodontitis is higher in AS patients group than that of non-AS control group
- Anti-TNF-α therapy would favorably affect the disease course of periodontitis.
Based on our hypotheses, the specific objectives of the present proposal are as follows;
- The primary objective is to compare the prevalence rate of periodontitis between AS patient group and non-AS group.
The secondary objectives will be:
- To observe the carriage rate of P. gingivalis in AS and non-AS groups
- To identify clinical parameters associated with the severity of periodontitis in AS group.
- To compare the progression of periodontitis at weeks 12 and 24 between AS and non-AS groups or between AS patients with and without anti-TNF-α treatment
|Condition or disease|
|Ankylosing Spondylitis Periodontitis|
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||168 participants|
|Observational Model:||Case Control|
|Official Title:||The Prevalence and the Progression of Periodontitis in Ankylosing Spondylitis (AS) Patients Versus Non-AS Population|
|Study Start Date :||September 2012|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||May 2014|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||May 2014|
patients aged 18 years or more who meet the 1984 modified New York criteria
age- (± 3 years) and gender-matched volunteers who do not have inflammatory arthropathy.
- prevalence rate of periodontitis [ Time Frame: At enrollment ]
- carriage rate of P. gingivalis [ Time Frame: At enrollment ]
- progression of periodontitis [ Time Frame: 12 and 24 week ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01750528
|Korea, Republic of|
|Seoul National University Bundang Hospital|
|Seongnam-si, Gyeonggi-do, Korea, Republic of, 463-707|
|Principal Investigator:||Yun Jong Lee, M.D.||Seoul National University Bundang Hospital|