Ultrasound Assisted Arterial Cannulation in Small Children
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01742416|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : December 5, 2012
Last Update Posted : December 23, 2014
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Arterial Cannulation||Procedure: Ultrasound Procedure: Palpation Method|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||40 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Official Title:||Ultrasound Assisted Arterial Cannulation in Small Children - To See or Not to See?|
|Study Start Date :||November 2012|
|Primary Completion Date :||June 2013|
|Study Completion Date :||June 2013|
Arterial cannulation facilitated by ultrasound.
|Active Comparator: Palpation Method||
Procedure: Palpation Method
Arterial cannulation by palpation method.
- Number of Attempts [ Time Frame: Change from baseline to successful cannulation (estimated average of 30 minutes) ]To measure the number of attempts to cannulate the artery per participant.
- Time to Successful Cannulation [ Time Frame: Change from baseline to successful cannulation (estimated average of 30 minutes) ]To measure the difference between the time when the palpating finger touches the skin (palpation group) or the gel is applied to the skin (US group) at the first intended cannulation site and the time when the arterial cannula is correctly in place.
- Rate of Success of First Attempt [ Time Frame: Change from baseline to success of first attempt, when artery is successfully cannulated on first attempt (estimated average of 30 minutes) ]The rate of success of first attempt to cannulate the artery of each participant.
- Number of Attempted Sites [ Time Frame: Change from baseline to successful cannulation (estimated average of 30 minutes) ]To measure the total number of attempted sites.
- Learning Curve [ Time Frame: At approximately 4 months ]To measure the learning curve for each of the participating anaesthetist.
- Cost of Procedure [ Time Frame: Duration of the study (6 months) ]To measure the estimated cost of the procedure.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01742416
|The Hospital for Sick Children|
|Toronto, Ontario, Canada, M5G 1X8|
|Principal Investigator:||Katherine Taylor, MD||The Hospital for Sick Children|