Cabozantinib for Metastatic Triple Negative BrCa
|Study Design:||Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||A Phase II Study of XL184 (Cabozantinib) for Metastatic Triple-Negative Breast Cancer|
- Objective Response Rate [ Time Frame: Disease was evaluated radiologically at baseline, week 6 and every 9 weeks on treatment; Treatment continued until disease progression or unacceptable toxicity. Treatment duration was a median of 3 cycles range (1-17). ]The objective response rate (ORR) was defined as achieving complete response (CR) or partial response (PR) on treatment based on RECIST1.1 criteria. For target lesions: CR is complete disappearance of all target lesions and PR is at least a 30% decrease in the sum of longest diameter (LD) of target lesions, taking as reference baseline sum LD. PR or better overall response assumes at a minimum incomplete response/stable disease (SD) for the evaluation of non-target lesions and absence of new lesions. Confirmatory scans were required 3 weeks following initial documentation.
- Progression Free Survival [ Time Frame: Disease was evaluated radiologically at baseline, week 6 and every 9 weeks on treatment; Treatment continued until disease progression or unacceptable toxicity. Treatment duration was a median of 3 cycles range (1-17). ]Progression-free survival (PFS) estimated using Kaplan-Meier methods was defined as the time from registration to documented disease progression (PD) or death. Based on RECIST1.1, radiographic PD is at least a 20% increase in the sum of the diameters of target lesions, taking as reference the smallest sum since beginning therapy, the appearance of one or more new lesions and/or unequivocal progression of existing non-target lesions. Patients who were event-free were censored at the date of their last disease evaluation.
|Study Start Date:||February 2013|
|Study Completion Date:||May 2015|
|Primary Completion Date:||May 2015 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Cabozantinib was given at a dose of 60 mg orally once per day for 21 day cycles. Treatment continued in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Other Name: XL184
* To evaluate the activity of cabozantinib, as defined by objective response rate in patients with triple-negative metastatic breast cancer
- To evaluate progression free survival
- To evaluate c-Met and phospho c-Met expression in archival tumor tissue
- To evaluate the incidence of c-Met amplified circulating tumor cells at baseline
- To evaluate potential plasma biomarkers of cabozantinib
This study uses a two-stage design enrolling 35 patients to evaluate efficacy of cabozantinib based on overall response defined as complete or partial response per RECIST1.1 criteria. The null and alternative overall response rates were 5% and 20%. If one or more patients enrolled in the stage one cohort (n=13 patients) achieve PR or better then accrual proceeds to stage two (n=22 patients).
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01738438
|United States, Massachusetts|
|Dana-Farber Cancer Institute at Faulkner Hospital|
|Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02130|
|Massachusetts General Hospital|
|Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02214|
|Dana-Farber Cancer Institute|
|Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02215|
|Principal Investigator:||Sara Tolaney, MD, MPH||Dana-Farber Cancer Institute|