The Efficacy and Safety Study of Electro-acupuncture for Severe Chronic Functional Constipation
Device: sham electro-acupuncture
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Double Blind (Subject, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||The Efficacy and Safety Study of Electro-acupuncture for Severe Chronic Functional Constipation - a Multi-center, Randomized Controlled Trial|
- the Change in Mean Weekly CSBMs During Weeks 1-8 Since Treatment [ Time Frame: Baseline and weeks 1-8 ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]the change number in mean weekly CSBMs during weeks 1-8 since treatment compared with baseline.
- the Percentage of Participants With Three or More Weekly CSBMs [ Time Frame: 1-20 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]the percentage of participants with three or more weekly CSBMs during weeks 1-8 and weeks 9-20
- Changes in Mean Weekly CSBMs During Weeks 9-20 [ Time Frame: Baseline and weeks 9-20 ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]The changed number in mean weekly average CSBMs during 9-20th weeks, compared with baseline.
- Mean Weekly SBMs During Weeks 1-8 [ Time Frame: Baseline and weeks 1-8 ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]The changed number in mean of weekly average SBMs (spontaneous bowel movement) during 8-week treatment, compared with baseline.
- Mean Scores for Stool Consistency and Straining During Weeks 1-8 [ Time Frame: Baseline and weeks 1-8 ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]average weekly stool consistency (Bristol Stool Scale) assessment of self-defecation during the 1-8weeks of treatment,compared with baseline. Bristol Stool Scale including 7-type, scored by 1 to 7 respectively.Type 1: Separate hard lumps, like nuts (hard to pass); Type 2: Sausage-shaped, but lumpy; Type 3: Like a sausage but with cracks on its surface; Type 4: Like a sausage or snake, smooth and soft; Type 5: Soft blobs with clear cut edges (passed easily); Type 6: Fluffy pieces with ragged edges, a mushy stool; Type 7: Watery, no solid pieces. Entirely liquid. Type 3, 4 are normal.
- Change of Average Weekly Degree of Difficulty in Defecation From Baseline [ Time Frame: Baseline and weeks 1-8 ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
The degree of straining during self-defecation: The severity of straining is graded using a 4-point ordinal scale.
0 = not at all
- = more straining than not
- = a great deal
- = an extreme amount, need finger manipulation to defecate average weekly degree of difficulty in self-defecation during 1-8weeks,compared with baseline
- Then Change Score of Health-related Quality of Life Via Patient-Assessment of Constipation Quality Of Life (PAC-QOL) [ Time Frame: baseline and the end of 8th week ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Patient-Assessment of Constipation Quality Of Life(PAC-QOL) ranges are 28-140,and higher values represent a worse outcome.Subscales are summed to compute the total score. The changed score of PAC-QOL at week 8, compared with baseline.
- Number of Participants With Adverse Events Related to Acupuncture [ Time Frame: 1-8 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
- Mean of Weekly Frequency of Rescue Medicine and Other Defecation Assistances Used [ Time Frame: 1-20 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Rescue medicine for constipation during the trial will be recorded. For rescue medicine, any participants experiencing no bowel movements for 3 or more consecutive days during the whole trial period were allowed to use a 110 ml glycerol anal enema or 40-60 ml sorbitol anal enema as a rescue medicine with documentation in the stool diary.Other If a patient used other medicine, it should be also recorded in the diary.Only the frequences of rescue medicine and other medicine for constipation will be recorded in diary by patient. Weekly frequencies were combined across Weeks 1-8 and 9-20 per participant by averaged across all measurements.
- The Number of Participants Using Rescue Medicine for Constipation [ Time Frame: 1-20 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Percentage of Weekly Frequency of Rescue Medicine and Other Defecation Assistances Used [ Time Frame: 1-20 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
|Study Start Date:||October 2012|
|Study Completion Date:||December 2014|
|Primary Completion Date:||October 2014 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Every session lasts for 30min/day.The participants are treated continuously for 8 weeks.During 8-week treatment the first 2 weeks,5 sessions per week,and 3 sessions per week in the rest 6 weeks,28 sessions for each patients in total.
Procedure: electro-acupuncture; Points:Tianshu (ST25) Fujie(SP14), Shangjuxu (ST37).Pierced the skin, needles are inserted 30to70mm into bilateral ST25 and SP14 vertically until piercing the abdominal muscle layer.Electric stimulator is applied to bilateral ST25 and SP14 with dilatational wave, 10/50 Hz and electric current 0.1-1.0mA. The participant's abdominal muscle twitching mildly is the appropriate dose. Bilateral ST37 are inserted 25-30mm and then twirling lifting and thrusting for 3 times.Local sour and heavy feeling is appropriate dose. Steady small twirling lifting and thrusting 3 times in all. 30 min/per day/per session.During the 8 weeks treatment, the first 2 weeks,5 sessions per week, and 3 sessions per week in the rest 6 weeks,28 sessions for each patients in total.
Other Name: SDZ-V electro-acupuncture apparatus (Huatuo, made in China)
Sham Comparator: sham electro-acupuncture
Length of Treatment and the treatment sessions are the same as treatment group.
Device: sham electro-acupuncture
Procedure:sham electro-acupuncture;Points:Sham Tianshu(ST25),sham Fujie(SP14),sham Shangjuxu (ST37).Sham points location:20mm away from ST25,middle of Spleen and Stomach Channel;30mm from SP14,middle of Spleen and Stomach Channel; one point beside ST37,middle of Stomach and Gallbladder Channel; Performance:The needle is inserted with needle of 0.30×25mm by 3-5mm. No twirling lifting and thrusting. The electric stimulator is applied to bilateral sham ST25 and sham SP14 with dilatational wave,10/50 Hz and electric current 0.5mA.The mental wire has been cut off with a same outlook as the treatment group.The electric stimulator is looked normal but with no current output. Length of Treatment and the treatment sessions are the same as treatment group.
Other Name: Sham SDZ-V electro-acupuncture apparatus (Huatuo, China)
Chronic functional constipation is a common disease. To date there has not specific therapy on chronic functional constipation. Systematic reviews indicate that acupuncture is probably effective for the disease, but the evidence is limited. Recently, we have finished a multi-center clinical trial of individualized deep electro-acupuncture (EA) for chronic functional constipation (n=460, Registration ID: NCT00508482) which preliminarily showed EA was effective.
This multi-center large-sample randomized controlled clinical trial of acupuncture for severe functional constipation is designed to confirm the efficacy and safety of EA.
This project is conducted by Chinese experts, supported by the Chinese Government. The research result is expected to provide high quality evidence of EA for chronic functional constipation.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01726504
|Guang'anmen Hospital of China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences|
|Beijing, Beijing, China, 100700|
|Principal Investigator:||Baoyan Liu, Master||Vice President of China Academy of Chinese Medical Sciences|