A 26-week Treatment Randomized, Double-blind, Double Dummy Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of QVA149
|Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease||Drug: QVA149 Drug: Fluticasone/salmeterol Drug: Placebo to QVA149 Drug: Placebo to fluticasone/salmeterol||Phase 3|
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Double Blind (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||A 26-week Treatment Randomized, Double-blind, Double Dummy, Parallel-group Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of QVA149 (Indacaterol / Glycopyrronium Bromide) Compared to Fluticasone/Salmeterol in Patients With Moderate to Severe COPD|
- Trough Forced Expiratory Volume in One Second (FEV1) Following 26 Weeks of Treatment to Demonstrate the Non-inferiority of QVA149 110/50 μg o.d. to Fluticasone/Salmeterol 500/50 μg b.i.d [ Time Frame: 26 weeks ]Measurement of QVA149 110/50 μg o.d. to fluticasone/salmeterol 500/50 μg b.i.d. in terms of trough FEV1 (mean of 23 h 15 min and 23 h 45 min post QVA149 dose) following 26 weeks of treatment in patients with moderate to severe COPD.
- Trough Forced Expiratory Volume in One Second (FEV1) Following 26 Weeks of Treatment to Demonstrate the Superiority of QVA 110/50μg o.d. to Fluticasone/Salmeterol 500/50 μg b.i.d [ Time Frame: 26 weeks ]
- Standardized Forced Expiratory Volume in One Second (FEV1) Area Under the Curve (AUC) 0-4 Hours [ Time Frame: Day 1, 12 and 26 weeks ]Forced Expiratory Volume in 1 Second (FEV1) Area Under the Curve (AUC) 0-4h at Day 1 was measured via spirometry conducted according to internationally accepted standards. Measurements were made at 0, 5, 15, and 30 minutes; and 1, 2, 3 and 4 hours post-dose. The standardized AUC FEV1 was calculated as the sum of trapezoids divided by the length of time. Mixed model used: AUC FEV1 = treatment + baseline FEV1 + FEV1 reversibility components + baseline smoking status + baseline ICS use + country + center (country) + error. Center was included as a random effect nested within country.
- Analysis of FEV1 (L) Trough Response (Pre-dose) Over the Whole Treatment Period [ Time Frame: 6,12,18 and 26 weeks ]Average of Trough Forced Expiratory Volume in one second (FEV1)
- Analysis of Trough FVC (L) Over the Whole Treatment Period [ Time Frame: 12 and 26 weeks ]Average of Trough Forced Vital Capacity (FVC) at 23 hours 15 min and the 23 hours 45 min post dose
- Health Related Quality of Life Analysis of SGRQ Total Score After 26 Weeks of Treatment [ Time Frame: 26 weeks ]A Total and three component scores are calculated: Symptoms; Activity; Impacts. Each component of the questionnaire is scored separately:The score for each component is calculated separately by dividing the summed weights by the maximum possible weight for that component and expressing the result as a percentage: Score = 100 x Summed weights from all positive items in that component divided by Sum of weights for all items in that component The Total score is calculated in similar way: Score = 100 x Summed weights from all positive items in the questionnaire divided by Sum of weights for all items in the questionnaire Sum of maximum possible weights for each component and Total: Symptoms 566.2 Activity 982.9 Impacts 1652.8 Total (sum of maximum for all three components) 3201.9 The proportion of patients who achieve a clinically important improvement of at least 4 units in the total SGRQ will be analyzed. The higher the score the more symptoms of disease are present.
- Analysis of the TDI Focal Score Over the Whole Treatment Period [ Time Frame: 12 and 26 weeks ]The Transition Dyspnea Index (TDI) total score after 12 and 26 weeks of treatment will be analyzed using the same mixed model as specified for the primary analysis with the Baseline Dyspnea Index (BDI) total score as the baseline.Total score ranging - 9 to + 9. The lower the score, the more deterioration in severity of dyspnea. One additional option in each category, which does not contribute to the score, allows for circumstances in which impairment is due to reasons other than dyspnea. ."Baseline 12 weeks" and "Baseline 26 weeks", were the baseline scores for available participants analyzed for each time point.
- Rescue Medication Use: Summary of the Mean Daily, Daytime and Nighttime Number of Puffs of Rescue Medication, by 4 Weekly Intervals [ Time Frame: 12 and 26 weeks ]The number of puffs of rescue medication taken in the previous 12 hours will be recorded in the Patient Diary in the morning and evening. "Baseline 12 weeks" and "Baseline 26 weeks", were the baseline scores for available participants analyzed for each time point. Less puffs taken is better.
- Symptoms Reported Using E-diary Over 12 and 26 Weeks of Treatment [ Time Frame: 26 weeks ]Percentage of nights with 'no nighttime awakenings', percentage of days with 'no daytime symptoms', and percentage of 'days able to perform usual daily activities' over 26 weeks (FAS)
|Study Start Date:||November 2012|
|Study Completion Date:||February 2014|
|Primary Completion Date:||February 2014 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
QVA149 110/50 µg o.d., delivered via a single-dose dry powder inhaler (SDDPI), consisting of a fixed dose combination of indacaterol 110µg and NVA237 50µg
QVA149 110/50 µg capsules q.d. for inhalation, delivered via Novartis single dose dry powder inhaler (SDDPI).
Other Name: Experimental: QVA149Drug: Placebo to fluticasone/salmeterol
Placebo to fluticasone/salmeterol with Accuhaler
Other Name: Comparator: fluticasone/salmeterol
Active Comparator: fluticasone/salmeterol
Fluticasone/salmeterol 500/50 µg b.i.d., delivered via a dry powder inhaler Accuhaler® device
Active fluticasone/salmeterol (500/50µg) b.i.d via a dry power inhaler Accuhaler® device.
Other Name: Comparator: Fluticasone/salmeterolDrug: Placebo to QVA149
Placebo to QVA149 with SDDPI
Other Name: Experimental: QVA149
To demonstrate the non-inferiority of QVA149 110/50 µg o.d. to fluticasone/salmeterol 500/50 µg b.i.d. in terms of trough Forced Expiratory Volume in one second (FEV1) (mean of 23 hours 15 min and 23 hours 45 min post QVA149 dose) following 26 weeks of treatment in patients with moderate to severe COPD.
The study population will consist of approximate 736 male and female adults (age 40 years and greater) with a clinical diagnosis of stable COPD [GOLD (2010)] and a smoking history of at least 10 pack years. It is anticipated that approximately 981 patients will need to be screened in order to randomize 736 patients into 2 treatment arms of the study with an equal randomization ratio, meaning QVA149 (368 patients), fluticasone/salmeterol (368 patients). Treatment randomization will be stratified by current/ex-smoker status and prior ICS use. It is intended that 552 patients will complete the study at Week 26 without major protocol deviations. Dropouts will not be replaced.
This will be a multi-national study, including China, and at least two other countries.
Standardization FEV1 AUC0-12h will be performed in a subgroup of around 100 patients (50 patients per treatment arm) in pre-selected centers.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01709903
Show 56 Study Locations
|Study Director:||Novartis Pharmaceuticals||Novartis Pharmaceuticals|