The Efficacy and Safety and Tolerability of Laquinimod in Subjects With Relapsing Remitting Multiple Sclerosis (RRMS) (CONCERTO)
Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
Drug: Laquinimod 0.6 mg
Drug: Matching Placebo
Drug: Laquinimod 1.2 mg
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Endpoint Classification: Safety/Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Double Blind (Subject, Caregiver, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||A Multinational, Multicenter, Randomized, Double-blind, Parallel-group, Placebo-Controlled Study Followed by an Active Treatment Period, to Evaluate the Efficacy, Safety and Tolerability of Two Oral Doses of Laquinimod (0.6 mg/d or 1.2 mg/d) in Subjects With Relapsing Remitting Multiple Sclerosis (RRMS)|
- Time to Confirmed Disease Progression (CDP) in Period 1 [ Time Frame: 24 months (Period 1) ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]CDP is defined as an increase in Kurtzke's Expanded Disability Status Scale (EDSS) of 1 point or more from baseline for subjects with baseline EDSS of ≤5.0, or an increase 0.5 points or more from baseline for subjects with baseline EDSS of 5.5. The EDSS rates a person's disability due to multiple sclerosis severity, ranging from 0 (normal neurological exam) to 10 (death due to MS). The higher score represents more severe disability. The outcome measure is the time recorded from Baseline until the subject meets this definition of CDP.
- Percent change in brain volume [ Time Frame: Change from Baseline to 15 Months ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]This is a measure of brain volume and will be assessed by an MRI. Brain atrophy is defined as the percent change in brain volume from baseline to month 15
- The time to first confirmed relapse during Period 1 [ Time Frame: 24 months (Period 1) ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Number of Participants with Adverse Events [ Time Frame: 24 months (Period 1) ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
- Number of Participants with Abnormal Vital Signs [ Time Frame: 24 months (Period 1) ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
- Number of Participants with Abnormal ECG Findings [ Time Frame: 24 months (Period 1) ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
- Number of Participants with Abnormal Clinical Laboratory Parameters [ Time Frame: 24 months (Period 1) ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]
|Study Start Date:||February 2013|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||April 2017|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||March 2017 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: Laquinimod 0.6 mg
Two capsules, one containing 0.6 mg laquinimod and the other containing matching placebo, to be administered orally once daily during both Periods 1 and 2.
|Drug: Laquinimod 0.6 mg|
Experimental: Laquinimod 1.2 mg
Two capsules containing 0.6 mg laquinimod to be administered orally once daily during both Periods 1 and 2.
NOTE- As of January 2016, this arm has been discontinued.
|Drug: Laquinimod 1.2 mg|
Placebo Comparator: Placebo
Two capsules containing placebo (matching to the 0.6 mg) to be administered orally once daily during Period 1.
|Drug: Matching Placebo|
Eligible subjects with confirmed relapsing-remitting multiple sclerosis will be randomized in a 1:1:1 ratio into one of the following treatment arms: Laquinimod capsules 0.6 mg, Laquinimod capsules 1.2 mg and matching placebo. The study will be comprised of two treatment periods:
Period 1: Double-blind Placebo-controlled (DBPC) period: not more than 24 months of once-daily, oral administration of either laquinimod 0.6 mg, 1.2 mg or matching oral placebo.
The Sponsor will declare closing of Period 1 for all subjects when 260 events of confirmed disease progression (CDP) have occurred or when all ongoing enrolled subjects completed 24 months in Period 1 (whichever occurs first).
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01707992
Show 215 Study Locations
|Study Director:||Teva Medical Expert, MD||TEVA|