Screening of Adolescent Mental Suffering (DESPERADOS)
The primary purpose is to estimate the prevalence of depression and subsyndromal states among adolescents 13 to 17 years consulting to hospital emergency rooms for any reason, for they are another way of tracking this suffering, as they host many troubled teens at once for health problems and accidents sometimes iterative, reflecting their risk behaviour.
Secondary purposes are to assess the feasibility and desirability of a post-emergency medical consultation for adolescents who scored high on a self-administered questionnaire, and to assess the impact of this approach by later monitoring.
|Depression Adolescent Self-report Questionnaire||Behavioral: consultation 10 days later|
|Study Design:||Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Diagnostic
|Official Title:||SCREENING OF ADOLESCENT MENTAL SUFFERING CONSULTANT TO EMERGENCIES, MANAGEMENT AND Later MONITORING|
- Responses to Self-reported questionnaire on risk behaviors, somatic complaints by adolescents and parents [ Time Frame: 10 months ]A self-questionnaire ADRS (Adolescent Depression Rating Scale) will be asked to all adolescents to complete. Also the other questions will be answered by them concenrning somatisations and risk behaviors. Parents respond in the same time a self questionnaire.
- Post-emergency consultation and reassessment of hetero-ADRS clinician questionnaire [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Actual presence of adolescents suspected of depression at the post-emergency consultation and reassessment of their state using the hetero-ADRS-clinician questionnaire.
- Revaluation after one year [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Revaluation after 1 year of the teenagers who come back to visit.
|Study Start Date:||February 2010|
|Study Completion Date:||June 2012|
|Primary Completion Date:||December 2011 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
screening of adolescent mental suffering. Management
screening of adolescent mental suffering consultant to emergencies. Management and later monitoring
Behavioral: consultation 10 days later
new depression screening
This is a multicenter longitudinal survey in three emergency centers in Ile-de-France, with 2 periods of daily collection and comprehensive three weeks spread over one year, followed by a remote evaluation.
The project is as follows:
Phase A :
- Evaluation of the prevalence: systematic execution of self-administered questionnaire by all adolescents consulting, night and day in each center.
Phase B :
- For adolescents whose outcome questionnaire exceed 4, a post-emergency consultation will be proposed within 15 days.
- Telephone survey, 12 months after the passage of emergency every teenager who completed self-administered questionnaire and presenting himself to the post-emergency consultation. This survey will aim to assess the psychological status of adolescents and the impact of any specific treatment.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01707576
|Department of paediatric emergencies, Ambroise Paré universitary hospital|
|Boulogne Billancourt, Ile de France, France, 92100|
|Principal Investigator:||Chantal Stheneur, MD||Ambroise Paré University Hospital|