Novel Device to Assess Endotracheal Tube Migration
This study has been completed.
Information provided by (Responsible Party):
Adriano Tonelli, The Cleveland Clinic
First received: September 21, 2012
Last updated: December 12, 2016
Last verified: December 2016
To evaluate the ability of the SonarMed AirWave to provide clinicians with information that enables them to confirm continuous proper placement of the endotracheal tube. This initial study is prospective, observational, looking at CXR results, and comparing those to AirWave system output data.
Mechanically Ventilated Patients Admitted to a MICU
||Observational Model: Case-Only
Time Perspective: Prospective
||Novel Device (AirWave™) to Assess Endotracheal Tube Migration.
Primary Outcome Measures:
- Endotracheal tube displacement measured by a novel device (AirWave) [ Time Frame: within 24 hours after intubation. ]
Use of the AirWave in the study group to calculate ETT tip distance from the carina will demonstrate a strong positive correlation with chest x-rays results. Specific endpoints will include:
• Compare CXR tube tip movement/distance to carina measurement results to AirWave tube tip movement/distance to carina calculation results (from the AirWave baseline location) within 24 hours after intubation.
| Study Start Date:
| Primary Completion Date:
||June 2012 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)
Oral or nasal endotracheal intubation
Oral or nasal endotracheal intubation, anticipated to last at least 48 hours Adults that require ETT internal diameter sizes of 6.5 - 9.0 mm Subject must be at least 18 years old (no upper age limitation) English speaking patients/decision makers.
|Ages Eligible for Study:
||18 Years and older (Adult, Senior)
|Sexes Eligible for Study:
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:
Subjects will be eligible for inclusion in the study if they meet ALL of the following criteria:
- Oral or nasal endotracheal intubation, anticipated to last at least 48 hours
- Adults that require ETT internal diameter sizes of 6.5 - 9.0 mm
- Subject must be at least 18 years old (no upper age limitation)
- English speaking patients/decision makers.
- Subjects ventilated through a tracheostomy
- Subjects under 18 years of age
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the Contacts provided below.
For general information, see Learn About Clinical Studies.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01697215
|Cleveland, Ohio, United States, 44195 |
The Cleveland Clinic
||Adriano Tonelli, MD
||The Cleveland Clinic Foundatin
ClinicalTrials.gov processed this record on May 25, 2017
||Adriano Tonelli, Staff Physician, The Cleveland Clinic
History of Changes
|Other Study ID Numbers:
|Study First Received:
||September 21, 2012
||December 12, 2016