A Randomized, Parallel, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Study of Vitamin D as Prophylactic Treatment for Migraine
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01695460|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : September 28, 2012
Last Update Posted : December 29, 2015
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Migraine According to International Headache Society (IHS) Criteria (ICHD-II)||Drug: D3 Vitamin ® Drug: Placebo||Phase 3|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||48 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Double (Participant, Investigator)|
|Official Title:||A Randomized, Parallel, Double-blind, Placebo-controlled Study of Vitamin D as Prophylactic Treatment for Migraine|
|Study Start Date :||September 2012|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||December 2015|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||December 2015|
Active Comparator: Vitamin D
The active treatment consists of vitamin D and is given in tablets of the brand D3 Vitamin ®, supplied by D3 Pharmacy Ltd., Bispensgade 22, 9000 Aalborg.
The tablets contain the vitamin D in the form of vitamin D3, also known as cholecalciferol.
D3 Vitamin ® consists of small white tablets, which are easy to swallow.
D3 Vitamin ® contains 25 micrograms vitamin D3 (colecalciferol) per tablet, equivalent to 1000 IU (International Units).
Tablet Excipients: Cellulose, dicalcium phosphate, magnesium stearate, silicon dioxide and talc. Vitamin D3 ® contains no gluten, soy, gelatin or other animal products.
Drug: D3 Vitamin ®
Vitamin D and placebo supplied as tablets in containers of 124. The containers must be kept in dry and not too hot environment.
All subjects randomized to vitamin D, will receive 100 micrograms of vitamin D3/day, equivalent to 4000 IU. Vitamin D is administered orally 1 time a day with breakfast.
Other Name: D3 Vitamin ®, supplied by D3 Pharmacy Ltd
Placebo Comparator: Placebo
Placebo tablets to match D3 Vitamin ®, were produced. They are identical to the D3 Vitamin ® in appearance, ie small white tablets. These tablets do not have a therapeutic effect. Placebo tablets produced and delivered by D3 Pharmacy Ltd., Bispensgade 22, 9000 Aalborg.
Other Name: Placebo tablets to match D3 Vitamin ®, produced by D3 Pharmacy Ltd
- The number of migraine attacks [ Time Frame: every 4 weeks ]The primary endpoint is the frequency of migraine attacks. This is estimated from the subjects' listing of attacks in the form of diaries. This is assessed as the number of migraine attacks per 4 weeks (28 days).
- Evaluation of pain during migraine attacks [ Time Frame: every 4 weeks ]Evaluation of pain during migraine attacks carried out by the subjects themselves by completing diaries. The diaries trial participants evaluate the pain intensity during an attack using a 1-3 scale, where 1 is mild pain, 2 is moderate pain, and 3 severe pain.
- Hypersensitivity [ Time Frame: Baseline and every 4 weeks ]allodynia and hyperalgesia (hypersensitivity) assessed by standardized questions about the sensitivity of the skin associated with migraine.
- Migraine Symptoms [ Time Frame: every 4 weeks ]Migraine Symptoms, including aura, nausea, light and sound sensitivity are also assessed by trial participants using diaries.
- Quantitative Sensory Testing [ Time Frame: Every 4 weeks ]Pain Pressure Threshold and temporal summation are measured.
- Measuring levels of a biomarker. Changes in the levels of these biomarkers. [ Time Frame: Baseline and after 6 months treatment (end of trial) ]
Changes in the levels of these biomarkers are measured:
25(OH)D, 1,25(OH)D, GFAP, S100B, CGRP,Glutamate, Serotonin, Prostaglandin E2
- Quality of life [ Time Frame: Every 28 days ]HIT-6 (Headache Impact Test)
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01695460
|CCBR Aalborg A/S|
|Aalborg, Denmark, 9000|
|Aalborg, Denmark, 9220|
|Study Chair:||Parisa Gazerani, Pharm D, PhD||Aalborg University|