The Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System and Parathyroid Hormone Control: The RAAS-PARC Study (RAAS-PARC)
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01691781|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : September 25, 2012
Results First Posted : August 10, 2017
Last Update Posted : September 21, 2017
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Hyperparathyroidism||Drug: Lisinopril||Not Applicable|
The RAAS-PARC study will evaluate whether angiotensin-converting enzyme inhibitors (ACEi) can lower parathyroid hormone (PTH) in normal controls and in individuals have a diagnosis of primary hyperparathyroidism.
Emerging data has implicated the renin-angiotensin-aldosterone system (RAAS) activity with increased PTH. The principal investigator, and other investigators, have previously shown that inhibiting the RAAS may lower PTH. The current study will focus on:
- Normal Physiology: Does an ACEi (which lowers angiotensin II and aldosterone) reduce PTH in normal individuals?
- Pathophysiology: Does an ACEi reduce PTH in individuals with primary hyperparathyroidism?
The results of this study may have important implications for cardiovascular and skeletal health, as both the RAAS and PTH have been implicated as mediators of these conditions.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||41 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Masking Description:||Open Label|
|Official Title:||The Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone System and Parathyroid Hormone Control: The RAAS-PARC Study|
|Actual Study Start Date :||October 2012|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||August 2016|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||December 2016|
Lisinopril - open-label, 2.5-40mg daily
Each subject will receive one week of lisinopril and return for repeat for blood measurements.
- Parathyroid Hormone Following 1 Week of ACE Inhibitor Administration [ Time Frame: 1 week ]PTH values 1 week following ACE inhibitor therapy
- Urinary Aldosterone Excretion Measurements Following 1 Week of ACE Inhibitor Therapy [ Time Frame: 1 week ]
- Serum Calcium Following 1 Week of ACE Inhibitor Administration [ Time Frame: 1 week ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01691781
|United States, Massachusetts|
|Brigham and Women's Hospital|
|Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02115|
|Principal Investigator:||Anand Vaidya, MD, MMSc||Brigham and Women's Hospital, Harvard Medical School|