Transarterial Chemoembolization Prior to Transplantation for Hepatocellular Carcinoma (CATCH)
|Hepatocellular Carcinoma||Other: Intra-arterial administration of DC BeadsR||Phase 3|
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Efficacy of Transarterial Chemoembolization With DC-BeadsR Prior to Liver Transplantation for Hepatocellular Carcinoma on Patient Survival : A Prosepctive Multicentre and Randomized Study|
- Survival [ Time Frame: 3 years ]Intention to treat survival at 3 years following inscription on the waiting list for liver transplantation in patient with hepatocellular carcinoma
- Dropout rate [ Time Frame: 3 years ]Dropout rate (tumor progression beyond transplanted criteria and all causes mortality)
- Post-transplantation survival rate [ Time Frame: 3 years ]
- Allograft survival [ Time Frame: 3 years ]
- Time to dropout [ Time Frame: 3 years ]
- Recurrence rate [ Time Frame: 3 years ]
- TACE-induced complications (local and general) [ Time Frame: 3 years ]
- Contrast agent - induced complications [ Time Frame: 3 years ]
- Doxorubicin-induced complications [ Time Frame: 3 years ]
- Efficacy of TACE [ Time Frame: 3 years ]Efficacy of TACE (morphological response to TACE: captation rate of Lipiodol and morphological response (RECIST guidelines), as well as histological criteria: percentage of necrosis on pathological examination)
|Study Start Date:||August 2012|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||August 2017|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||August 2017 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: Intra-arterial administration of DC BeadsR
Intra-arterial administration of DC BeadsR, (1 vial of 100-300 µm) as selectively as possible loaded with doxorubicin (50 mg per procedure) and mixed with an equal volume of contrast medium. The first injection will be performed within 21 days following enlisting and repeated 1-2 times until LT (only if hypervascularized vital tumor tissue is again visible on CT Scan and if liver function remains within Child A stage) or until complete response
|Other: Intra-arterial administration of DC BeadsR|
No Intervention: Control
- Multicentre, prospective, randomized, 2 parallel group study
- Preoperative evaluation of hepatocellular carcinoma in recipients: Tumor diagnosis will be mainly based upon EASL guidelines. HCCs will be classified according to UCSF criteria (size, number of nodules). Clinical and biological status will be updated every 3 month.
- Pre-transplant treatment:
TACE group: An emulsion of Lipiodol and a cytotoxic drug (50mg/m2 of doxorubicin) will be injected as selectively as possible. Then, an embolic agent will be used to assure stop of flow. The first injection will be performed within 10 days following enlisting and repeated every 8 weeks until LT (only if hypervascularized vital tumor tissue is again visible on CT Scan and if liver function remains within Child A stage) or until complete response. Clinical/biological follow-up will be done once a month.
Control group (no treatment until LT): clinical/biological follow-up and CT-scan every 3 month.
This prospective, multicentric, and randomized study may allow investigators to show that TACE with DC-BeadsR can significantly increase intention to treat survival of patients transplanted for HCC. We also expect that this result will be associated with less recurrence of the cancer after transplantation.
Obviously, we expect that the beneficial effect of TACE will be associated with a acceptable rate of complication related to the procedure.
- Pathologic examination: In all patients in whom LT will be performed, the diagnosis of hepatocellular carcinoma will be confirmed by a histological examination of the explanted liver.
- Dropout criteria: Patients with progression but still meeting the transplant criteria will be maintained in their respective group. Patients with progression over the transplant criteria will be excluded from the waiting list and censored.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01676194
|Hôpital Henri Mondor - Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris|
|Créteil, France, 94010|
|Hôpital Michalon, CHU de Grenoble|
|Grenoble, France, 38000|
|Hôpital Claude Huriez, CHU de Lille|
|Lille, France, 59000|
|Hôpital de la Croix Rousse, HCL, Lyon|
|Lyon, France, 69000|
|Hôpital Saint-Antoine / APHP|
|Paris, France, 75000|
|Rennes, France, 35033|
|Hôpital Trousseau, CHU de Tours|
|Tours, France, 37000|
|Principal Investigator:||Philippe COMPAGNON, MD||Service de Chirurgie Digestive - Transplantation Hépatique / Hôpital Henri Mondor - Assistance Publique-Hôpitaux de Paris / Faculté de Médecine - Université Paris-Est|
|Principal Investigator:||Karim BOUDJEMA, MD PhD||Service de Chirurgie Hépato-biliaire et Digestive, Transplantation Hépatique / CHU de Rennes / Université de Rennes 1|
|Study Chair:||Bruno Laviolle, MD, PhD||Service de Pharmacologie et CIC - INSERM 0203 / CHU de Rennes / Université de Rennes|