Study of the Contraceptive Efficacy and Safety of a NOMAC-E2 Combined Oral Contraceptive (COC)(P06448)
The purpose of this study was to assess the contraceptive efficacy of a nomegestrol acetate + 17ß-estradiol (NOMAC-E2) combined oral contraceptive (COC) in healthy, sexually-active American women at risk for pregnancy. Vaginal bleeding patterns of women taking NOMAC-E2 were assessed and compared to those of women taking a norethisterone acetate + ethinyl estradiol (NETA-EE) COC. The safety of NOMAC-E2 was also assessed.
Participants were randomized to receive either NOMAC-E2 or NETA-EE in a 3:1 ratio. As of Amendment 1 (which increased the sample size of the NOMAC-E2 group), the randomization ratio was adapted accordingly for participants randomized after the sample size increase.
Drug: ethinylestradiol (EE)
Drug: ferrous fumarate
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Prevention
|Official Title:||A Phase III, Randomized, Open-label, Active-controlled, Multicenter Trial to Study the Contraceptive Efficacy and Safety of the Commercial Batch of Oral Tablets of MK-8175A (Nomegestrol Acetate - 17ß-estradiol) in Healthy, Sexually-active Women Aged 18-50 Years|
- Number of In-Treatment Pregnancies Per 100 Woman Years of Exposure (Pearl Index) [ Time Frame: Up to 1 year (13 cycles) ]Primary Efficacy Outcome measure for this study was contraceptive efficacy, or the prevention of in-treatment pregnancy. The total incidence of in-treatment pregnancies was expressed as the Pearl Index, which is defined as the number of in-treatment pregnancies per 100 woman-years of exposure.
- Percentage of Participants With an Occurrence of Breakthrough Bleeding/Spotting [ Time Frame: Up to 1 year (13 cycles) ]Participants kept e-diaries to record their vaginal bleeding events. They were asked to record, on a daily basis, whether they experienced vaginal bleeding, which included BLEEDING or SPOTTING, at any time during a cycle other than normal menstruation while in the study. (This is also known as "breakthough" bleeding.) Vaginal bleeding that required >=1 pad/tampon per day was classified as BLEEDING. Vaginal bleeding that did not require a pad/tampon per day was classified as SPOTTING.
- Percentage of Participants With an Absence of Withdrawal Bleeding [ Time Frame: Up to 1 year (13 cycles) ]Participants kept e-diaries to record vaginal bleeding events. They were asked to record, on a daily basis, whether vaginal bleeding was present. Absence of withdrawal bleeding was defined as no bleeding/spotting during the expected bleeding period.
- Percentage of Participants Who Experienced At Least One Adverse Event [ Time Frame: Up to 54 weeks ]An AE is defined as any unfavorable and unintended sign (including an abnormal laboratory finding), symptom, or disease temporally associated with the use of a study drug, whether or not it is considered related to the study drug.
- Number of Participants Who Experience at Least One Venous or Arterial Thrombotic/Thromboembolic Event [ Time Frame: Up to 54 weeks ]
- Change From Baseline in Body Weight [ Time Frame: Baseline and Week 52 ]Participants' body weights were measured in a consistent manner throughout the trial, using standardized equirpment. Last In-Treatment Measurement refers to a participant's end of trial visit, the timing of which differed among participants.
|Study Start Date:||November 2012|
|Study Completion Date:||February 2014|
|Primary Completion Date:||February 2014 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Participants received a NOMAC-E2 tablet (2.5 mg nomegestrol acetate and 1.5 mg 17ß-estradiol), taken orally once daily for 13 cycles. Each cycle was 28 days. For each cycle, participants received NOMAC-E2 tablets on Days 1 to 24 and placebo tablets on Days 25 to 28.
NOMAC-E2 film-coated oral tablets containing 2.5 mg nomegestrol acetate and 1.5 mg 17ß-estradiol.
Other Names:Other: Placebo
Active Comparator: NETA-EE
Participants received a NETA-EE tablet (1 mg norethisterone acetate and 10 μg ethinylestradiol), taken orally once daily for 13 cycles. Each cycle was 28 days. For each cycle, participants received NETA-EE tablets on Days 1 to 24; EE 10 μg tablets on Days 25 and 26; and ferrous fumarate 75 mg tablets on Days 27 and 28.
NETA-EE film-coated oral tablets containing 1 mg norethisterone acetate and 10 μg ethinylestradiol.
Other Name: Lo Loestrin® FeDrug: ethinylestradiol (EE)
EE 10 μg tabletDrug: ferrous fumarate
ferrous fumarate 75 mg tablet
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01656434
|Study Director:||Medical Director||Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp.|