Rubinstein-Taybi Syndrome: Functional Imaging and Therapeutic Trial (RUBIVAL)
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01619644|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : June 14, 2012
Last Update Posted : March 18, 2015
An exploratory phase 2 therapeutic trial in children from 6 to 21, RTS carriers, randomized to be treated either with sodium valproate with the usual pediatric dosage (30 mg/kg/j), or by placebo for one year.
The investigator would like to include children because they could best profit from it due to their neuronal plasticity as CBP and EP300 take effect through neuronal and synaptic plasticity.
The therapeutic effect of sodium valproate in RTS patients will be assessed thanks to a clinical approach (learning and memory neuropsychological evaluation, fine motor skills assessment by pointing), to a biological approach (histone acetylation functional tests), and to imaging (morphological and functional MRI).
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Rubinstein-Taybi Syndrome||Drug: sodium valproate Drug: Placebo||Phase 2|
Such a multidisciplinary approach has never been presented for this syndrome; it should enable us identifying specific cognitive and motor deficits and their association thanks to imaging markers. Assessing the various aspects of motor skills, i.e. primary (movements, standing at ease position, immobility) and complex motor skills (actions and behaviours, motor aspects of feelings and language expressions) is an integral part of the clinical examination in psychiatrics.
The main interest of a functional capacity analysis is to be used as an index allowing the assessment of the nervous system's global capacities and the study of the connections between cognitive functions and motor skills Main objective: Evaluate long term memory with subtest "point location" - CMS and "image recognition" RBMT A patient is said to be responder if after one year his or her test result increase for one point at least one of the two tests : a increase of one point to "point location" or "image recognition".
Double-blind phase 2 clinical trial, designed as a one-step Fleming design but with a control group. Rubival is a two-parallel group randomized trial:
- a placebo group of 20 patients
- a group of 40 patients taking sodium valproate (HDAC inhibitor) with an oral dosage of 30 mg/kg/jour
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||41 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||Rubinstein-Taybi Syndrome: Functional Imaging and Therapeutic Trial|
|Study Start Date :||April 2012|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||September 2014|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||September 2014|
Experimental: Sodium Valproate
Group of 40 patients receiving one year of sodium valproate
Drug: sodium valproate
sodium valproate (HDAC inhibitor) with an oral dosage of 30 mg/kg/jour
Placebo Comparator: Placebo
Group of 20 patients receiving one year of placebo
Placebo with an oral dosage of 30 mg/kg/jour
- Memory tests (assessing memory learning) [ Time Frame: 1 year ]
The main outcome measure was to evaluate long term memory with two subtests :
- point location, subtest of CMS (children memory scale). The score ranges from 0 to 6
- image recognition, subtest of RBMT (Rivermead Behavioural Memory Test). The score range from 0 to 10. One point for each image recognized A patient is said to be responder if after one year of treatment , his or her test result increase for one point at least one of the two tests
- Special brain imaging profile and motor skills (posturology and motor coordination in a visio-manual pointing task) [ Time Frame: 1 year ]
For motor skills, the profile was based on 3 tasks : posturology, motor coordination in a visuo-manual pointing task and in mobile interception task..
For brain imaging, a variety of outcome measures will be used for example, brain volume, anisotropy fraction, diffusion coefficient for structural magnetic imaging and the signal intensity for functional Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Cognitive and developmental profile [ Time Frame: 1 year ]Based on the results of several battery test and evaluation scale, VABS II (Vineland Adaptative Behaviour Scale II), Leiter R, EVIP, ECOSSE, NEPSY : fluency verbal sutest, CMS : 2 subtests, RBMT : 1 subtest
- Histone acetylation profile [ Time Frame: 1 year ]
- Global acetylation level [ Time Frame: 1 year ]
- Acetylation level of selected gene [ Time Frame: 1 year ]
- Measurement of selected gene expression [ Time Frame: 1 year ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01619644
|University Hospital Bordeaux, France|
|Bordeaux, France, 33076|
|Principal Investigator:||Didier LACOMBE, PU-PH||University Hospital Bordeaux, France|
|Study Chair:||Paul PEREZ, PH||University Hospital Bordeaux, France|