Study of SDMB (2,2 Dimethylbutyrate, Sodium Salt) in Beta Thalassemia Intermedia in Thailand (ST20-P2T)
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01609595|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : June 1, 2012
Last Update Posted : March 13, 2013
Beta thalassemia intermedia is an inherited blood disease caused by molecular mutations which reduce the beta globin protein chain of adult hemoglobin A, the protein in red blood cells which carries oxygen throughout the body. Beta thalassemias cause progressively severe anemia, widespread organ damage, and often require blood transfusions. There is no FDA approved therapeutic to treat the underlying cause of beta thalassemia. Fetal hemoglobin is another type of endogenous hemoglobin which can replace the reduced beta globin protein, reduce the anemia, and even abolish transfusion requirements. This type of hemoglobin is normally suppressed in infancy.
Sodium 2,2 dimethylbutyrate (ST20, or HQK-1001) is a small molecule which stimulates production of fetal hemoglobin in nonhuman primates and in human patients in Phase I/II trials.
This is a Phase 2 open-label trial to evaluate the ability of this oral therapeutic to reduce anemia in patients with beta thalassemia intermedia, when administered once daily for 26 weeks. All participants will receive the study drug.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Beta Thalassemia Intermedia||Drug: sodium 2,2 dimethylbutyrate||Phase 2|
This trial will:
- Determine the proportion of patients in which treatment with the study drug results in an increase in total hemoglobin by 1.5 g/dl above baseline levels when administered for 26 weeks in Thai patients with beta thalassemia intermedia, including Hemoglobin E beta thalassemia.
- Determine the number and proportion of participants in whom treatment with the study drug results in an increase in fetal hemoglobin.
- Determine the number of participants who have adverse events.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||10 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||An Open Label Academic Phase 2 Study of SDMB in Subjects in Thailand With Beta Thalassemia Intermedia|
|Study Start Date :||March 2012|
|Primary Completion Date :||November 2012|
|Study Completion Date :||December 2012|
Study drug treatment
Drug: sodium 2,2 dimethylbutyrate
Oral capsule, dose 20 mg/kg/day, daily, for 26 weeks
Other Name: HQK-1001, ST20
- The number of participants in which an increase in total hemoglobin of at least 1.5 g/dl above average baseline occurs with study drug treatment. [ Time Frame: Within 30 weeks, including 26 weeks of dosing with the study drug ]
Baseline hemoglobin levels will be determined by averaging 2 values prior to administration of the study drug.
The number of participants in which an increase in total hemoglobin of at least 1.5 g/dL above baseline occurs will be determined.
- The proportion of participants in which an increase in fetal hemoglobin occurs above the subjects' averaged baseline levels. [ Time Frame: Within 30 weeks, including 26 weeks of study drug administration ]Tests of fetal hemoglobin will be obtained at two times prior to administration of the study drug and will be averaged. Laboratory tests of fetal hemoglobin will be assessed monthly during the study drug administration for 26 weeks, as a biomarker of drug activity.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01609595
|Mahidol University Thalassemia Research Centre|
|Principal Investigator:||Suthat Fuchareon, MD||Thalassemia Research Centre, Mahidol University|