Impact of Total Thyroidectomy on Voice and Swallowing
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01607242|
Recruitment Status : Unknown
Verified May 2012 by Jiannis Hajiioannou, University of Thessaly.
Recruitment status was: Recruiting
First Posted : May 30, 2012
Last Update Posted : May 30, 2012
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Thyroidectomy Voice Alteration Swallowing Alteration||Other: Endoscopy of larynx Other: Voice Handicap Index Other: Swallowing Assesment|
Voice and swallowing alterations are frequently reported after thyroidectomy, even in the absence of nerve injury. These impair quality of life.
Purpose of this study is to evaluate the outcome of total thyroidectomy on vocal and swallowing function.
Patients will be assessed using the Greek- version of Voice Handicap Index (VHI) and a questionnaire developed by the authors regarding swallowing symptoms.
Furthermore they will undergo flexible laryngoscopy for evaluation of laryngeal mobility.
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Estimated Enrollment :||100 participants|
|Official Title:||Study of Total Thyroidectomy Effect on Voice and Swallowing Function|
|Study Start Date :||March 2012|
patients undergoing total thyroidectomy
Other: Endoscopy of larynx
Endoscopic Laryngeal mobility assessmentOther: Voice Handicap Index
Subjective Evaluation of Voice disordersOther: Swallowing Assesment
Swallowing function questionnaire
- Subjective voice evaluation [ Time Frame: 1 Day preoperatively ]Greek- version of Voice Handicap Index (VHI)
- Subjective voice evaluation [ Time Frame: 1 week postoperatively ]Greek- version of Voice Handicap Index (VHI)
- Subjective Voice Evaluation [ Time Frame: 1 month postoperatively ]Greek- version of Voice Handicap Index (VHI)
- Swallowing evaluation [ Time Frame: 1 day preoperatively ]questionnaire on swallowing symptoms
- Swallowing evaluation [ Time Frame: 1 week postoperatively ]questionnaire on swallowing symptoms
- Swallowing evaluation [ Time Frame: 1 month postoperatively ]questionnaire on swallowing symptoms
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01607242
|Contact: Jiannis Hajiioannou, Lectureremail@example.com|
|Contact: Eleni Sioka, MDfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|University Hospital of Larissa||Recruiting|
|Larissa, Greece, 41110|
|Principal Investigator: Jiannis Hajiioannou|
|Study Chair:||Ioannis Bizakis, Professor||University of Thessaly|
|Principal Investigator:||Jiannis Hajiioannou, Lecturer||University of Thessaly|
|Study Chair:||Evangelos Athanasiou, As Professor||University of Thessaly|
|Study Director:||Dimitrios Zacharoulis, As Professor||University of Thessaly|
|Study Director:||Eleni Sioka, MD||University of Thessaly|
|Study Director:||Vassilios Lachanas, MD||University of Thessaly|