Evaluation of Novel Biomarkers to Improve Risk Stratification and Patient Selection in Implantable Cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) Therapy (BIOMARKERICD)
Implantable cardioverter-defibrillator (ICD) therapy reduces mortality in patients with chronic heart failure and reduced left ventricular ejection fraction (LVEF) <36%. Nevertheless, patient selection for ICD therapy based on LVEF and NYHA functional class alone seems to have a low specificity and sensitivity: In 100 patients treated, the SCD-HeFT study prevented 7 deaths in 5 years. Therefore 93 patients have a risk of adverse effects, such as operation risk, infection, pneumothorax, lead dislocation, and inadequate icd therapy. On the other hand, patients with advanced or end stage heart failure might rather die off progressive heart failure death and thus not benefit from ICD therapy.
It therefore seems appropriate and necessary to improve the individualized risk stratification in these patients. The aim of this study is to evaluate multiple cardiac biomarkers in a model predicting ventricular arrhythmias in patients on ICD therapy.
|Study Design:||Observational Model: Cohort
Time Perspective: Prospective
|Official Title:||Evaluation of Novel Biomarkers to Improve Risk Stratification and Patient Selection in ICD Therapy|
- ICD therapy [ Time Frame: 2 years ]ICD therapy (ATP/Shock) for ventricular fibrillation/ventricular tachycardia or inadequate therapy for supraventricular tachycardia/oversensing/lead dysfunction
- Quality of life [ Time Frame: 2 years ]
- Depression scale [ Time Frame: 2 years ]PHQ-9
- 6-Minute-walk-test [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
- all-cause mortality [ Time Frame: 2 years ]
- Heart Failure Events [ Time Frame: 2 years ]Changes in NYHA classification, Hospitalizations
- Risc Scores for Heart Failure events/ICD therapy [ Time Frame: 2 years ]Seattle Heart Failure Model, Lee-Score, PROFIT-Score
- Puls wave velocity [ Time Frame: at inclusion ]Only patients getting the first implantation of ICD.
Biospecimen Retention: Samples With DNA
|Study Start Date:||April 2012|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||December 2017|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||May 2017 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01594073
|Hannover Medical School|
|Hannover, Germany, 30625|
|Principal Investigator:||David Duncker, MD||Hannover Medical School|