Creating Smokefree Living Together for Chinese Household Pairs
This is a trial of household pairs of a Chinese smoker and nonsmoker randomized either to a smoke-free educational intervention or self-help control group. The smokefree educational intervention includes group education about smokefree environments and smoking cessation, follow-up phone calls, and tobacco exposure lab reports. The control group is referred to usual care with local in-language smoking cessation classes or quitline, and is otherwise assessment only. The investigators hypothesize that pairs in the intervention group will have higher rates of tobacco cessation and elimination of smoke exposure, compared to the control group.
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Endpoint Classification: Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Single Blind (Subject)
Primary Purpose: Prevention
|Official Title:||"Creating Smokefree Living Together": Smokefree Counseling Intervention for Chinese Smokers and Household Nonsmokers|
- Smoking cessation [ Time Frame: 12 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Elimination of secondhand smoke exposure [ Time Frame: 12 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Nonsmoker
- Urine NNAL (4-(Methylnitrosamine)-1-(3-pyridyl)-1-butanol) [ Time Frame: 12 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Smoker and nonsmoker; NNAL is a tobacco-specific carcinogen
- Cigarette consumption [ Time Frame: 12 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Smoker
- Rule for no smoking in home [ Time Frame: 12 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Smoker and nonsmoker
- Reduction in secondhand smoke exposure [ Time Frame: 12 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
|Study Start Date:||April 2012|
|Study Completion Date:||May 2015|
|Primary Completion Date:||May 2015 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
No Intervention: Usual care
Household pairs that are assessment only and receive usual care of local in-language smoking cessation resource referral including quitline.
Experimental: Smokefree counseling
Household pairs assigned to smokefree counseling intervention, consisting of group education sessions, tobacco exposure lab report, individual follow-up phone calls.
Behavioral: Smokefree counseling
Smokefree counseling intervention involves group education sessions, follow-up phone calls, tobacco exposure lab report. Comparison is usual care with referral to local in-language smoking cessation services including quitline.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01592682
|United States, California|
|Chinatown Public Health Center|
|San Francisco, California, United States, 94133|
|Principal Investigator:||Elisa K Tong, MD, MA||University of California, Davis|