Treatment of Xerostomia by Herbal Preparation
Recruitment status was: Recruiting
|Xerostomia||Dietary Supplement: Herbal extract granule Dietary Supplement: Placebo herbal extract granule|
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Double Blind (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Efficacy of Yukmijihwang-tang on Xerostomia in the Elderly: A Randomized,Double-blind, Placebo-controlled, Two-center Trial|
- Visual Analogue Scale (VAS) for xerostomia [ Time Frame: Visit 1(0week), Visit 2(4week), Visit 3(8week), Visit 4(10week) ]A 100 mm measurement instrument will be given to the patient and he will be instructed to indicate his severity of xerostomia in relation to the 2 extremes (0: no fatigue, 100: very severe fatigue).
- Unstimulated Salivary Flow Rate (USFR) and Stimulated salivary flow rate (SSFR) [ Time Frame: Visit 1(0week), Visit 2(4week), Visit 3(8week), Visit 4(10week) ]
- Residual saliva [ Time Frame: Visit 1(0week), Visit 2(4week), Visit 3(8week), Visit 4(10week) ]
- Salivary IgA, Chromogranin A, Cortisol [ Time Frame: Visit 1(0week), Visit 3(8week) ]
- Dry Mouth Symptom Questionnaire(DMSQ) [ Time Frame: Visit 1(0week), Visit 2(4week), Visit 3(8week), Visit 4(10week) ]DMSQ is composed of 10 questions associated with the severity of xerostomia and various behaviors related to xerostomia
|Study Start Date:||April 2012|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||November 2013|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||September 2013 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Yukmijihwang-tang: Real herbal extract granule
Dietary Supplement: Herbal extract granule
The herbal extract granule, Yukmijihwang-tang granule, consists of 6 herbs. Ingredients: Rehmanniae Radix, Deoscoreae Radix, Corni Fructus, Hoelen, Alismatis Radix, Paeoniae Radicis Cortex. Dosage and frequency: 1 pack (3g), 3 packs per day (2 hours after morning, afternoon and evening meal)
Other Name: Hexalong Granule
Placebo Comparator: Yukmijihwang-tang_Placebo
Yukmijihwang-tang_Placebo: Placebo herbal extract granule
Dietary Supplement: Placebo herbal extract granule
The Yukmijihwang-tang_Placebo has the same form, color and flavor as experimental intervention (Yukmijihwang-tang). The dosage, frequency and duration is also the same as experimental intervention (Yukmijihwang-tang).
Other Name: Hexalong Granule Placebo
Xerostomia is a condition related to both decrease in the amount of saliva produced and a change in its composition, therefore causing dry mouth.It can cause severe decline in quality of life and up to date, there have been few effective treatments for xerostomia.
The purpose of the current trial is to investigate the effect of herbal extract granule named Yukmijihwang-tang (YMT) on dry mouth. The trial is a randomized, double-blinded, placebo-controlled, 2-arm, 2-centered study. Ninety-six patients with xerostomia will be randomly assigned to one of the 2 groups consisting of YMT or placebo. The assigned treatments will last for 8 weeks and the follow-up period will be 2 weeks.
The primary outcomes are Visual analogue scale (VAS) for xerostomia.
The present study is designed to examine the safety and efficacy of YMT on xerostomia. Our study provides the clinical evidence of a new therapeutic strategy for xerostomia.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01579877
|Contact: Jinsung Kim, email@example.com|
|Contact: Jae-Woo Park, firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Korea, Republic of|
|Kyung Hee University Oriental Medicine Hospital||Recruiting|
|Seoul, Korea, Republic of, 130-872|
|Contact: Jinsung Kim, doctorate +82-2-958-8895 email@example.com|
|Contact: Jae-Woo Park, doctorate +82-2-440-6219 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Sub-Investigator: Jae-Woo Park, doctorate|
|Principal Investigator:||Jinsung Kim, doctorate||Kyung Hee University Hospital|