Internet Treatment for Weight Loss in Primary Care
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01558297|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : March 20, 2012
Results First Posted : June 4, 2015
Last Update Posted : July 1, 2015
This study will test the effectiveness of two distinct treatments for weight loss:
- Motivational Interviewing
- Nutritional Counseling. These treatments will be compared to Treatment as Usual. Participants will be recruited through local primary care offices.
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Overweight Obese||Behavioral: Motivational Interviewing Behavioral: Nutritional Counseling Behavioral: Treatment as usual with primary care physician|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||89 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Single (Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||Internet Treatment for Weight Loss in Primary Care|
|Study Start Date :||April 2012|
|Primary Completion Date :||May 2013|
|Study Completion Date :||May 2013|
|Experimental: Motivational Interviewing||
Behavioral: Motivational Interviewing
5 sessions of motivational interviewing over a period of 3 months.
|Active Comparator: Nutritional Counseling||
Behavioral: Nutritional Counseling
5 sessions of nutritional counseling over a period of 3 months.
|Active Comparator: Treatment as usual||
Behavioral: Treatment as usual with primary care physician
Participants will be encouraged to continue their care with their primary care physician.
- Body Weight in Pounds. [ Time Frame: 1.5 months after treatment start (Baseline) ]Body weight lost in pounds measured 1.5 months after first treatment session.
- Body Weight in Pounds. [ Time Frame: 3 months after treatment start (Baseline) ]Body weight lost in pounds measured 3 months after first treatment session.
- Body Weight in Pounds. [ Time Frame: 6 months after treatment start (Baseline) ]Body weight lost in pounds measured 6 months after first treatment session (3 month follow-up after active treatment ends).
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01558297
|United States, Connecticut|
|Yale School of Medicine|
|New Haven, Connecticut, United States, 06520|
|Principal Investigator:||Rachel Barnes, PhD||Yale University|