From ACute To Chronic Postoperative Shoulder Pain in Patients for Elective Lobectomy (FACTS2)
Shoulder pain is a well known problem after thoracical surgery. The pathogenesis of the pain is uncertain, but mainly a mix of referred pain and mechanical strain to the shoulder. It is believed to last a few days. Persisting shoulder pain after thoracical surgery is a problem 1 year after surgery, but it is unknown if it is related to acute postoperative shoulder pain.
The purpose of the study is to systematically describe postoperative shoulder pain after lobectomy and examine the time progress up to 1 year after surgery.
|Study Design:||Observational Model: Cohort
Time Perspective: Prospective
|Official Title:||From Acute to Chronic Postoperative Shoulder Pain in Patients for Elective Lobectomy|
- Shoulder Pain [ Time Frame: 12 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Shoulder range of motion [ Time Frame: 12 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Shoulder range of motion in: flexion, outward rotation, inward rotation, adduction
- Thoracical Pain [ Time Frame: 12 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Presence of allodynia and hyperalgesia on the shoulder on the operated side. [ Time Frame: 1. postoperative day ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Presence of allodynia and hyperalgesia on the shoulder on the operated side, compared to the contralateral shoulder.
- Quantitative sensory testing values on the shoulder [ Time Frame: 12 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
Quantitative sensory testing values in referred pain area compared to contralateral side and preoperative values.
The following quantitative sensory tests are performed:
Cold Detection Threshold,Warm Detection Threshold, Cold Pain Threshold, Heat Pain Threshold, Mechanical detection Threshold, Mechanical Pain Threshold, Mechanical Pain Sensitivity, Allodynia, Wind-Up Ratio, Vibration Detection Threshold, Pressure Pain Threshold
- Hospital Anxiety and Depression Score [ Time Frame: 12 months ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
|Study Start Date:||January 2012|
|Study Completion Date:||December 2012|
|Primary Completion Date:||December 2012 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01552746
|Departement V of anesthesia and intensive care, Odense University Hospital|
|Odense, Denmark, 5000|
|Principal Investigator:||Morten R Eckhardt, MD||Departement V of anesthesia and intensive care, Odense University Hospital|