Cardiac-CT in the Treatment of Acute Chest Pain (CATCH)
Objectives The CATCH trial (CArdiac cT in the treatment of acute CHest pain) is a prospective randomized controlled trial designed to evaluate the clinical value of cardiac multidetector computed tomography (MDCT) as a first-line diagnostic strategy in patients with acute chest pain, compared to a conventional functional-based testing strategy.
Consecutive patients admitted with acute chest pain of suspected cardiac origin, but normal electrocardiogram and biomarkers were randomized to evaluation with 320-MDCT coronary angiography (CT-guided group) or with standard bicycle exercise test and/or myocardial perfusion imaging - MPI (Control group).
After one year, patients will be followed-up, with registration of clinical endpoints such as Cardiac death, myocardial infarction, need for revascularisation, admittance for heart related problems, sustained chest pain, live quality score, use of medication.
|Ischemic Heart Disease||Procedure: Cardiac computed tomographic angiography (CCTA)|
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: None (Open Label)
Primary Purpose: Diagnostic
|Official Title:||Cardiac-CT in the Treatment of Acute Chest Pain|
- combined endpoint of: Cardiac death, myocardial infarction, unstabile angina, revascularisation, readmissions for chest pain [ Time Frame: 1 year follow-up ]
- Cardiac death [ Time Frame: 1 year follow-up ]
- myocardial infarction [ Time Frame: 1 year follow-up ]
- readmissions for chest pain [ Time Frame: 1 year follow-up ]
- Revascularisation [ Time Frame: 1 year follow-up ]
- unstabile angina [ Time Frame: 1-year follow-up ]
- continued chest pain [ Time Frame: 1 year follow-up ]
- Quality of life (SF-36) [ Time Frame: 1-year follow-up ]
- medication [ Time Frame: 1-year follow-up ]
- non-cardiac findings on CT [ Time Frame: 1-year follow-up ]
- downstream testing [ Time Frame: 1-year follow-up ]
|Study Start Date:||January 2010|
|Study Completion Date:||January 2014|
|Primary Completion Date:||January 2014 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Active Comparator: CT guided group
For Patients with chest pain randomised to this arm, clinical decision will be based on the results of a Cardiac computed tomographic angiography (CCTA)
Procedure: Cardiac computed tomographic angiography (CCTA)
Patients will (on top of the standard clinical evaluation with a functional-based stress-test) be examined with a Cardiac CT scan. In the control group, the Cardiac CT will be blinded for clinical evaluation and only used retrospectively for research purpose.
Other Name: Adenosin for CT myocardial perfusion
No Intervention: Control group
Patients with chest pain randomised to the control group will be evaluated using the standard functional-based strategy with either a treadmill stress-test or SPECT (single-photon emission computed tomography). A Cardiac CT will will be performed, but will be blinded for initial clinical evaluation.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01534000
|Hvidovre University Hospital|
|Hvidovre, Denmark, 2650|
|Study Director:||Jesper J Linde, MD||Hvidovre University Hospital|