Shared Care Rehabilitation After Acute Coronary Syndrome (SHARED-REHAB)
Cardiac rehabilitation is an individual adapted multidisciplinary intervention for people suffering from Heart Disease. It involves;
- Dietary counseling,
- Exercise training,
- Psychosocial support,
- smoking cessation
- Patient education
The purpose is quick and complete recovery and to reduce the chance of recurrence.
In Denmark people admitted with Acute Cardiac Disease is referred to a course of hospital based cardiac rehabilitation at discharge.
The Danish Municipal Reform of 2007 changed the responsibility of rehabilitation from the Regions, who runs the hospitals, to the municipalities.
Shared care is in this setting that elements of treatment are completed different places in Health Care.
The aim of this study is:
- to establish a shared care model for Cardiac rehabilitation following admission with Acute Coronary Syndrome and
- to compare this model to the existing hospital based cardiac rehabilitation after admission with Acute Coronary Syndrome.
Primary outcome is participation in cardiac rehabilitation.
|Acute Coronary Syndrome Myocardial Ischemia Acute Myocardial Infarction: Rehabilitation Phase||Behavioral: Shared Care model||Phase 4|
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Supportive Care
|Official Title:||Shared Care Rehabilitation After Acute Coronary Syndrome|
- Participation in cardiac rehabilitation [ Time Frame: 4 months ]
Participation in cardiac rehabilitation is evaluated for each element. Participation is defined as at least 50% for each element.
- Smoking cessation
- Dietary counseling
- Exercise training
- Patient education
- Psychosocial support
Full participation is in 6 of 6 elements if smoker or 5/5 if non-smoker. Partial full participation is in 5/6 if smoker or 4/5 if non-smoker.
- Change of BMI and / or abdominal circumference [ Time Frame: 4 and 12 months ]
- 24-hour Ambulatory Blood Pressure [ Time Frame: 4 og 12 months ]
- Blood Cholesterol values (Total, LDL, HDL) [ Time Frame: 4 and 12 months ]
- Fasting Blood glucose [ Time Frame: 4 and 12 months ]
- Exercise Capacity [ Time Frame: 4 and 12 months ]
- Lifestyle changes [ Time Frame: 4 and 12 months ]Diet, Physical Activity, Smoking, Alcohol consumption.
- Depression score [ Time Frame: 4 and 12 months ]Estimated by Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale
- Compliance to pharmaceutical treatment [ Time Frame: 4 and 12 months ]
- Readmission [ Time Frame: 4 and 12 months ]Total and cardiovascular
- Change in Health Related Quality of Living [ Time Frame: 4 and 12 months ]SF-12 HeartQoL EQ-5D
- Difference in Health economic costs [ Time Frame: 4 and 12 months ]
|Study Start Date:||October 2011|
|Study Completion Date:||April 2015|
|Primary Completion Date:||April 2015 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
No Intervention: Hospital-based
Active Comparator: Shared care Model
Behavioral: Shared Care model
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01522001
|Silkeborg, Region Midt, Denmark, 8600|
|Aarhus University Hospital. Department of Cardiology and Medicine|
|Aarhus, Denmark, 8000|
|Viborg Hospital, Hospital Unit of Viborg, Silkeborg, Hammel and Skive|
|Viborg, Denmark, 8800|
|Principal Investigator:||Jannik B Bertelsen, MD||Hjertemedicinsk Afdeling B, Aarhus University Hospital|