Initial Study of Gallbladder Cancer in Chile
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01520259|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : January 27, 2012
Last Update Posted : August 4, 2020
- Chile has the highest diagnosis and death rates of gallbladder cancer in the world. Gallbladder cancer is also the leading cause of cancer death in Chilean women. High rates of gallstones and obesity, as well as genetic concerns, may explain these high rates. Researchers want to study gallbladder cancer in more depth in Chile. A small study must be done to see if a full-scale study is feasible.
- To test the methods and procedures of a small-scale study of gallbladder cancer in Chile.
- Individuals at least 18 years of age who have gallbladder cancer or gallstones, or are healthy control volunteers.
- Participants will be recruited from four clinical centers in Chile.
- Participants will be screened with a physical exam and medical history. Because gallbladder cancer has a high fatality rate, family members may be asked to provide additional medical history information if study participants die or become too ill to provide this information.
- Participants will provide blood, urine, stool, hair, fingernail, and saliva samples.
- Gallstones, bile, and tissue samples will be collected from those who have gallbladder removal surgery. Normal and tumor tissue samples will be collected as needed.
- Treatment will not be provided as part of this protocol. This is a data collection study only.
|Condition or disease|
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||446 participants|
|Official Title:||A Pilot Study of Gallbladder Cancer in Chile|
|Study Start Date :||January 10, 2012|
Women from the cohort with gallbladder cancer
Women from Chile screened for gallbladder cancer with and without gallstones
Women from the cohort with gallstones
- gallbladder cancer/pre-cancer [ Time Frame: ongoing ]gallbladder cancer/pre-cancer
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01520259
|Hospital Regional de Antofagasta|
|Hospital Regional De Concepcion|
|Hospital Sorero del Rio|
|Hospital Regional de Temuco|
|Principal Investigator:||Jill E. Koshiol, M.D.||National Cancer Institute (NCI)|