Atrioventricular Valve Regurgitation Vena Contracta; Echo Versus MRI
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01504880|
Recruitment Status : Active, not recruiting
First Posted : January 6, 2012
Last Update Posted : March 9, 2018
The purpose of this pilot study is to evaluate mitral (left atrioventricular valve) and tricuspid (right atrioventricular valve (AVV)) regurgitation using cardiac magnetic resonance imaging (CMR) as the non-invasive "gold standard" compared to transthoracic echocardiography (TTE) to evaluate measurements of the width of the regurgitation jet (vena contracta (VC)) to demonstrate the utility of the VC as a means to objectively evaluate atrioventricular valve regurgitation. In addition, feasibility and other quantitative and qualitative measures of regurgitation will be compared between CMR and TTE.
- Hypothesis 1: The ability to objectively evaluate atrioventricular valve regurgitation and VC width with TTE and CMR has a high feasibility rate with acceptable intra and inter-observer variability by two independent readers.
- Hypothesis 2: There will be positive correlation between the TTE measurement of the VC width and quantitative assessment of atrioventricular valve regurgitation by TTE and CMR.
- Hypothesis 3: There will be a positive correlation between the quantitative measurements of atrioventricular valve regurgitation by phase contrast velocity encoded CMR with quantitative values as measured by TTE.
- Hypothesis 4: There will be a positive correlation between qualitative assessment of atrioventricular valve regurgitation by CMR compared to TTE.
|Condition or disease|
|Tricuspid Valve Regurgitation, Non-rheumatic Mitral Valve Regurgitation|
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||3 participants|
|Official Title:||Evaluation of Mitral and Tricuspid Regurgitation: Cardiovascular Magnetic Resonance Imaging Versus Echocardiographic Doppler Color Flow Mapping of the Vena Contracta|
|Study Start Date :||June 2010|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||December 2018|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||December 2018|
- Vena Contracta Value [ Time Frame: At time of Echo and MRI ]Comparison of the echocardiographic measured vena contracta with quantitative value of mitral or tricuspid regurgitation as measured by MRI.
- Mitral and Tricuspid Regurgitation Fraction [ Time Frame: At time of Echo and MRI ]Quantitative echo measurements of mitral or tricuspid valve regurgitation fraction will be correlated to MRI derived regurgitation fraction of the mitral or tricuspid valves.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01504880
|United States, Wisconsin|
|Children's Hospital of Wisconsin|
|Milwaukee, Wisconsin, United States, 53226|
|Principal Investigator:||Benjamin Goot, MD||Medical College of Wisconsin|