A Pilot Study of rhBMP-2/ACS/Allograft Bone Dowel for Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion in Patients With Symptomatic Degenerative Disc Disease
This study has been completed.
Medtronic Spinal and Biologics
First Posted: December 19, 2011
Last Update Posted: August 2, 2013
Information provided by (Responsible Party):
Medtronic Spinal and Biologics
The purpose of this pilot clinical trial is to evaluate the device design as a method of facilitating spinal fusion.
|Degenerative Disc Disease||Device: rhBMP-2/ACS/allograft bone dowel Device: Autogenous bone/allograft bone dowel|
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: None (Open Label)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||A Clinical Investigation of Recombinant Human Bone Morphogenetic Protein-2 and Absorbable Collagen Sponge With Allograft Bone Dowel for Anterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion in Patients With Symptomatic Degenerative Disc Disease|
Resource links provided by NLM:
Further study details as provided by Medtronic Spinal and Biologics:
Primary Outcome Measures:
- Severity and Rate of Implant-Associated Adverse Events [ Time Frame: 24 month ]
- Rate of Implant Revision, Removal and Supplemental Fixation Procedures [ Time Frame: 24 month ]
- Incidence of Permanent Adverse Events [ Time Frame: 24 month ]
- Fusion [ Time Frame: 24 month ]
Fusion is defined as:
- Bone observed connecting with the vertebral bodies above and below either through the implants; lateral to or between the implants; or anterior/posterior to the implants.
- Angulation < 5°.
- Translation < 3mm.
- Absence of radiolucent lines around more than 50% of either implant.
- Disc Height Measurement [ Time Frame: 24 month ]Disc height will be measured postoperative and compared to the preoperative measurement. Maintenance or improvement in disc height will be determined a success.
- Pain/Disability Status [ Time Frame: 24 month ]The self-administered Oswestry Low Back Pain Disability Questionnaire will be used. Success will be defined as pain/disability improvement postoperatively according to the following definition: Preoperative Score - Postoperative Score >= 15
- Neurological Status [ Time Frame: 24 month ]Neurological status will be assessed preoperatively and postoperatively using a comprehensive neurological status scale.
Secondary Outcome Measures:
- Nature and Frequency of Adverse Events Not Associated with the Implants [ Time Frame: 24 month ]
- Rate of Reoperation Procedures [ Time Frame: 24 month ]
- Hip (Donor Site) Pain Status [ Time Frame: 24 month ]
- Patient Satisfaction/Quality of Life Status (SF-36) [ Time Frame: 24 month ]
- Pain Status (Numerical Rating Scale) [ Time Frame: 24 month ]
- Overall Success [ Time Frame: 24 months ]
A patient will be considered an overall success if all of the following conditions are met:
- disc height maintenance or improvement
- pain/disability (Oswestry) improvement
- maintenance or improvement in neurological status
- no permanent adverse event
- no additional surgical procedure classified as a "failure."
|Study Start Date:||April 1998|
|Study Completion Date:||February 2004|
|Primary Completion Date:||February 2004 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Device: rhBMP-2/ACS/allograft bone dowel
The rhBMP-2/ACS will be used in conjunction with an allograft bone dowel.
Other Name: Recombinant human bone morphogenetic protein-2
|Active Comparator: Autogenous Bone||
Device: Autogenous bone/allograft bone dowel
An allograft bone dowel contains autogenous bone taken from the patient's iliac crest.
Other Name: Autograft
Contacts and Locations
No Contacts or Locations Provided