A Pivotal Study of rhBMP-2/ACS/INTER FIX™ Device for Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion in Patients With Degenerative Disc Disease
This study has been terminated.
Information provided by (Responsible Party):
Medtronic Spinal and Biologics
First received: December 12, 2011
Last updated: August 1, 2013
Last verified: December 2011
The purpose of this clinical trial is to assess the safety and effectiveness of the rhBMP-2/ACS/INTER FIX™ device as compared to the autograft/INTER FIX™ device in patients with symptomatic degenerative disease.
Degenerative Disc Disease
Device: rhBMP-2/ACS/INTER FIX™
Device: Autogenous bone/INTER FIX™
Endpoint Classification: Safety/Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
||A Clinical Investigation of Recombinant Human Bone Morphogenetic Protein-2 and Absorbable Collagen Sponge With the INTER FIX™ Device for Posterior Lumbar Interbody Fusion in Patients With Degenerative Disc Disease
Primary Outcome Measures:
- Fusion [ Time Frame: 24 month ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
Fusion is defined as:
- Evidence of bridging trabeculae.
- No evidence of motion as defined by: a. No more than 3mm difference in translation on the lateral flexion/extension radiographs as determined by superimposing the two views, one upon the other. b. Less than 5° difference in angular motion between flexion and extension as seen on lateral flexion/extension radiographs.
- No evidence of radiolucency surrounding greater than 50% of either device.
- Pain/Disability Status [ Time Frame: 24 month ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
The self-administered Oswestry Low Back Pain Disability Questionnaire will be used. Success for each individual patient will be defined as pain/disability improvement postoperatively according to the following definition: Preoperative Score - Postoperative Score >= 15
- Neurological Status [ Time Frame: 24 month ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
Neurological status will be assessed preoperatively and postoperatively using a comprehensive neurological status scale.
Secondary Outcome Measures:
- Hip (Donor Site) Pain [ Time Frame: 24 month ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Disc Height Measurement [ Time Frame: 24 month ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- General Health Status (SF-36) [ Time Frame: 24 month ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Pain Status (back pain, leg pain) [ Time Frame: 24 month ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Patient Satisfaction [ Time Frame: 24 month ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Patient Global Perceived Effect [ Time Frame: 24 month ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
| Study Start Date:
| Study Completion Date:
| Primary Completion Date:
||September 2002 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)
Device: rhBMP-2/ACS/INTER FIX™
The INTER FIX™ device containing recombinant human Bone Morphogenetic Protein (rhBMP-2) soaked into an absorbable collagen sponge (ACS).
Other Name: recombinant human Bone Morphogenetic Protein-2
Active Comparator: Autogenous bone
Device: Autogenous bone/INTER FIX™
The INTER FIX™ device containing autogenous bone taken from the patient's iliac crest.
Other Name: Autograft
|Ages Eligible for Study:
||18 Years and older
|Genders Eligible for Study:
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:
Has degenerative disc disease as noted by back pain of discogenic origin, with or without leg pain, with degeneration of the disc confirmed by patient history (e.g., pain [leg, back, or symptoms in the sciatic nerve distribution], function deficit and/or neurological deficit) and radiographic studies (e.g., CT, MRI, X-Ray, etc.) to include one or more of the following:
- instability (defined as angular motion >=5° and/or translation >= 4mm, based on Flex/Ext radiographs);
- osteophyte formation;
- decreased disc height;
- thickening of ligamentous tissue;
- disc degeneration or herniation; and/or
- facet joint degeneration.
- Has preoperative Oswestry score >=35.
- Has no greater than Grade 1 spondylolisthesis utilizing Meyerding's Classification (Meyerding HW, 1932.).
- Has single-level symptomatic degenerative involvement from L2 to S1.
- Is at least 18 years of age, inclusive, at the time of surgery.
- Has not responded to non-operative treatment (e.g., bed rest, physical therapy, medications, spinal injections, manipulation, and/or TENS) for a period of at least 6 months.
- If female of child-bearing potential, who is not pregnant or nursing, and who agrees to use adequate contraception for 16 weeks following surgery.
- Is willing and able to comply with the study plan and sign the Patient Informed Consent Form.
- Had previous spinal fusion surgical procedure at the involved level.
- Has spinal instrumentation (which will not be removed) stabilizing the involved level.
- Has a condition which requires postoperative medications that interfere with fusion, such as steroids.
- Has been previously diagnosed with osteopenia, osteoporosis, or osteomalacia to a degree that spinal instrumentation would be contraindicated.
- Has presence of active malignancy.
- Has overt or active bacterial infection, either local or systemic.
- Is grossly obese, i.e., weight> 40% over ideal for their age and height.
- Has fever (temperature> 101°F oral) at the time of surgery.
- Has a documented titanium alloy allergy or intolerance.
- Is mentally incompetent. If questionable, obtain psychiatric consult.
- Has a Waddell Signs of Inorganic Behavior score of 3 or greater.
- Is a prisoner.
- Is an alcohol and/or drug abuser as defined by currently undergoing treatment for alcohol and/or drug usage.
- Is a tobacco user at the time of surgery.
- Has received drugs which may interfere with bone metabolism within two weeks prior to the planned date of spinal fusion surgery (e.g., steroids or methotrexate).
- Has a history of autoimmune disease (Systemic Lupus Erythematosus or Dermatomyositis).
- Has a history of exposure to injectable collagen implants.
- Has a history of hypersensitivity to protein pharmaceuticals (monoclonal antibodies or gamma globulins) or collagen.
- Has received treatment with an investigational therapy within 28 days prior to implantation surgery or such treatment is planned during the 16 weeks following rhBMP-2/ACS implantation.
- Has received any previous exposure to any/all BMP of either human or animal extraction.
- Has a history of allergy to bovine products or a history of anaphylaxis.
- Has history of endocrine or metabolic disorder known to affect osteogenesis (e.g., Paget's disease, renal osteodystrophy, Ehlers-Danlos syndrome, or osteogenesis imperfecta).
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the Contacts provided below.
For general information, see Learn About Clinical Studies.
No Contacts or Locations Provided
No publications provided
||Medtronic Spinal and Biologics
History of Changes
|Other Study ID Numbers:
|Study First Received:
||December 12, 2011
||August 1, 2013
||United States: Food and Drug Administration
Keywords provided by Medtronic Spinal and Biologics:
symptomatic degenerative disc disease
Additional relevant MeSH terms:
ClinicalTrials.gov processed this record on July 30, 2015
Intervertebral Disc Degeneration