ABC294640 in Treating Patients With Advanced Solid Tumors (ABC-101)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01488513|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : December 8, 2011
Last Update Posted : January 7, 2020
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Pancreatic Cancer Unspecified Adult Solid Tumor, Protocol Specific||Drug: sphingosine kinase-2 inhibitor ABC294640||Phase 1|
I. To assess safety and determine the maximum tolerated dose (MTD) and the dose limiting toxicities (DLT) of ABC294640 (sphingosine kinase-2 inhibitor ABC294640) in patients with solid organ tumors. (Part I) II. To assess the safety and tolerability of ABC294640 at the MTD in an expanded cohort of hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC) patients. (Part II)
I. To establish the dose of ABC294640 recommended for future phase II protocols. (Part I) II. To describe the pharmacokinetics of ABC294640 in patients with solid organ tumors. (Part I) III. To describe the effects of ABC294640 on plasma levels of sphingosine 1-phosphate in patients with solid organ tumors. (Part I) IV. To assess antitumor activity of ABC294640 in patients with solid organ tumors by objective radiographic assessment using Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (RECIST) 1.1 criteria. (Part I) V. To describe the pharmacokinetics of ABC294640 in HCC patients. (Part II) VI. To describe the effects of ABC294640 on plasma levels of sphingosine 1-phosphate in HCC patients. (Part II) VII. To assess antitumor activity of ABC294640 in HCC patients by objective radiographic assessment using RECIST 1.1 criteria. (Part II)
OUTLINE: This is a dose-escalation study.
Patients receive sphingosine kinase-2 inhibitor ABC294640 orally (PO) twice daily (BID) on days 1-28. Courses repeat every 28 days in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
After completion of study treatment, patients are followed up monthly for 1 year.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||22 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Phase I, Open-label, Dose-Escalation, Safety, Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic Study of ABC294640 in Patients With Advanced Solid Tumors|
|Study Start Date :||August 2011|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||August 2014|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||July 2015|
Experimental: Treatment (enzyme inhibitor therapy)
Patients receive sphingosine kinase-2 inhibitor ABC294640 PO BID on days 1-28. Courses repeat every 28 days in the absence of disease progression or unacceptable toxicity.
Drug: sphingosine kinase-2 inhibitor ABC294640
Given PO Starting dose of ABC294640 250 mg once on day on Days 1-28 of each 28-day cycle. Subsequent cohort doses (if reached) are as follows: 250 BID, 500 BID, 750 BID, 1,000 BID, 1,500 BID, 2,000 BID, 2,500 BID
Other Name: SK2 inhibitor ABC294640
- Maximum tolerated dose (MTD) defined as highest dose of ABC294640 at which 0 or 1 patient of 6 experiences a DLT. [ Time Frame: Patients will be followed until the point in time when no more than 1 of 6 patients has a Dose Limiting Toxicity (DLT) in cycle 1, and expected 54 days. ]MTD defined as the highest dose at which 0 or 1 patient of 6 experiences a DLT. The DLT rate will be estimated with its 95% confidence interval.
- Safety assessed using the National Cancer Institute (NCI) Common Toxicity Criteria (CTC) version 4.0. [ Time Frame: Weekly during course 1, bi-weekly for all subsequent courses, and at the end of treatment study-- expected to occur at an average of 6 months from study start. ]Assessed using the National Cancer Institute (NCI) Common Toxicity Criteria (CTC) version 4.0. Adverse events (AEs) will be coded by body system and summary tables with incidence rates of adverse events will be generated. Descriptive statistics of AEs will be reported by doses and for subsets of patients with serious adverse events (SAEs), patients who discontinue due to AEs, and patients with related AEs.
- Pharmacodynamic parameters for sphingosine kinase-2 inhibitor ABC294640 [ Time Frame: Days 1 and 28 of cycle 1 collected at prior to dose, 1, 2, 4, 8, 12, 24 hours post drug administration. ]Area under the drug concentration over time curve (AUC), maximum concentration, minimum concentration, and time to maximum concentration will be calculated for each subject.
- Pharmacodynamic parameters for sphingosine kinase-2 inhibitor ABC294640 [ Time Frame: Weekly during course 1, bi-weekly for all subsequent courses, and at the end of treatment study-- expected to occur at an average of 6 months from study start. ]Pharmacodynamic parameters for ABC294640 action will include measurement of plasma levels of S1P, including absolute concentration at each sampling time and chance from baseline concentration at each sampling time after drug administration.
- Tumor response rate [ Time Frame: Every 8 weeks till end of treatment study-- expected to occur at an average of 6 months from study start. ]All patients who have measureable disease according to RECIST 1.1, received at least one cycle of treatment, and have had disease re-evaluated will be included.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01488513
|United States, South Carolina|
|Medical University of South Carolina|
|Charleston, South Carolina, United States, 29425|
|Principal Investigator:||Carolyn Britten, MD||Medical University of South Carolina|