The Effects of Aerobics Training on Balance in Patients With Multiple Sclerosis (NIA)
Recruitment status was: Recruiting
Standing Balance, with and without blindfold, will be measured on patients with Multiple Sclerosis using a Biodex Balance Scale.
A Twelve week intervention with one non impact aerobics group and one control group will be performed.
Standing balance will then be retested on all subjects and the results will be statistically compared.
|Multiple Sclerosis, Relapsing-Remitting||Other: Non Impact Aerobics Other: Passive : lecture series||Early Phase 1|
|Study Design:||Allocation: Non-Randomized
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Health Services Research
|Official Title:||The Effects of Neuromuscular Training on Balance in Patients With Multiple Sclerosis|
- Biodex Scale Balance score: Automated [ Time Frame: Change: baseline and 12 weeks ]A patient will step up to a Biodex Balance scale and will be instructed to try and maintain balance on the machine until it produces an automated outcome score for balance. This number is directly related to a fall risk score in patients with neurological compromise.
- Pre and post intervention questionaire [ Time Frame: Change: baseline and 12 weeks ]A fifty question questionaire will be administered pre and post intervention. These questions will focus on mood changes, attitude changes and overall quality of life changes related to adding exercise in their daily living.
|Study Start Date:||October 2011|
|Estimated Study Completion Date:||June 2012|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||March 2012 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Active Comparator: Active non impact aerobics
This group will be performing a 12 week non impact aerobics program twice a week.
Other: Non Impact Aerobics
a 12 week, twice a week class in non impact aerobics
Other Name: Dancing, NIA, MS
Active Comparator: Control group: Passive lecture series
The control group will also be measured for balance and then attend a 12 week lecture series with no exercise. They will then also be remeasured post lectures series
Other: Passive : lecture series
a 12 week, once a week for one hour lecture series with no exercise. Topics will cover symptom management in Multiple Sclerosis
Other Name: Lifestyle lectures, symptom management
Standing Balance will be tested in 4 phases:
- On a firm surface eyes open
- On a frim surface eyes blindfolded
- On a foam surface eyes open
- On a foam surface eyes blindfolded
The aerobics classes will be conducted by a NIA (Non Impact Aerobics) instructor and will be a combination of tai chi, slow movement dancing, stretching and modified yoga stretches.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01453868
|Contact: Donovan Adendorf, DC||989-731 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Contact: Donovan Adendorf||989-858 email@example.com|
|United States, Michigan|
|HealthZone Chiropractic Clinic||Recruiting|
|Gaylord, Michigan, United States, 49735|
|Contact: Donovan Adendorf, DC 989-731-2948 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Contact: Donovan Adendorf, DC 989-732 1533 email@example.com|
|Principal Investigator: Donovan Adendorf, DC|
|Principal Investigator:||Donovan Adendorf, DC||Nelson Mandela Metropole University, Department of Health Sciences|
|Study Director:||Rosa DuRandt, PhD||Professor: Human Movement Sciences, NMMU-Port Elizabeth South Africa|
|Study Chair:||Maryna Baard, PhD||Faculty of Helath Sciences-NMMU, Port Elizabeth South Africa|