Safety and Efficacy of Cobicistat-boosted Darunavir in HIV Infected Adults
This study is to evaluate the safety and tolerability of cobicistat-boosted darunavir plus two fully active nucleoside analogue reverse transcriptase inhibitors in HIV 1 infected, antiretroviral treatment-naive and treatment-experienced adults with no darunavir (DRV) resistance-associated mutations.
After the Week 48 Visit, participants will be given the option to participate in an open-label rollover phase to receive cobicistat and attend visits every 12 weeks until it becomes commercially available, or until Gilead Sciences elects to terminate development of cobicistat.
Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome
|Study Design:||Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||A Phase 3b, Open-Label, Single Arm Study to Evaluate the Safety and Efficacy of Cobicistat-boosted Darunavir Plus Two Fully Active Nucleoside Reverse Transcriptase Inhibitors in HIV-1 Infected, Antiretroviral Treatment-Naïve and -Experienced Adults With No Darunavir Resistance-associated Mutations|
- Percentage of Participants With Onset of Any Treatment-emergent Grade 3 or 4 Adverse Event Between Baseline and Week 24 [ Time Frame: Up to 24 weeks ]
- Percentage of Participants Achieving HIV-1 RNA < 50 Copies/mL at Week 24 (Snapshot Analysis) [ Time Frame: Week 24 ]
- Percentage of Participants Achieving HIV-1 RNA < 50 Copies/mL at Week 48 (Snapshot Analysis) [ Time Frame: Week 48 ]
- Change From Baseline in CD4+ Cell Count at Week 24 [ Time Frame: Baseline; Week 24 ]
- Change From Baseline in CD4+ Cell Count at Week 48 [ Time Frame: Baseline; Week 48 ]
- Percentage of Participants Experiencing Any Treatment-emergent Adverse Event and Any Treatment-emergent Adverse Event Leading to Discontinuation of Study Drug Through Week 24 [ Time Frame: Up to 24 weeks ]
- Percentage of Participants Experiencing Any Treatment-emergent Adverse Event and Any Treatment-emergent Adverse Event Leading to Discontinuation of Study Drug Through Week 48 [ Time Frame: Up to 48 weeks ]
|Study Start Date:||September 2011|
|Study Completion Date:||October 2015|
|Primary Completion Date:||August 2012 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: COBI-boosted DRV
Participants will receive DRV+COBI+2 investigator-selected NRTIs for 48 weeks, and may continue their regimen in the open-label rollover phase.
150 mg tablet administered orally with food once daily
Other Names:Drug: DRV
800 mg (2 x 400 mg tablets) administered orally with food once daily
Other Names:Drug: NRTIs
Participants will receive 2 nucleoside analogue reverse transcriptase inhibitors (NRTIs) selected by the investigator after resistance testing at screening and administered according to prescribing information. NRTIs may include emtricitabine (FTC)/tenofovir disoproxil fumarate (TDF), zidovudine+FTC/TDF, abacavir (ABC)+TDF, ABC+FTC/TDF, ABC+lamivudine (3TC), or didanosine (DDI)+FTC.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01440569
Show 49 Study Locations
|Study Director:||Marshall Fordyce, MD||Gilead Sciences|