Doxazosin an a1 Antagonist for Alcohol Dependence
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01437046|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : September 20, 2011
Last Update Posted : July 22, 2015
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Alcohol Dependence Anxiety||Drug: Doxazosin Drug: Placebo||Phase 2|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||48 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Triple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator)|
|Official Title:||Doxazosin an a1 Antagonist for Alcohol Dependence|
|Study Start Date :||November 2011|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||August 2013|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||March 2015|
Placebo Comparator: Placebo
- drinking days per week (DDW) [ Time Frame: 16 weeks ]whether doxazosin, as compared to placebo, decreases the number of drinking days per week (DDW), as measured by the timeline follow-back (TLFB). A drink is defined as a Standard Drinking Unit (SDU).
- drinks per week (DPW) [ Time Frame: 16 weeks ]whether doxazosin, as compared to placebo, decreases the number of drinks per week (DPW), measured by the TLFB
- alcohol craving [ Time Frame: 16 weeks ]whether doxazosin, as compared to placebo, results in diminished alcohol craving, as measured by the Obsessive Compulsive Drinking Scale (OCDS)
- anxiety [ Time Frame: 16 weeks ]whether doxazosin, as compared to placebo, results in diminished anxiety scores, measured by the Hamilton Anxiety Scale (HAMA).
- Adverse Events [ Time Frame: 16 weeks ]whether doxazosin, as compared to placebo, increases the frequency and intensity of Adverse Events (AE).
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01437046
|United States, Rhode Island|
|Brown University Center for Alcohol and Addiction Studies|
|Providence, Rhode Island, United States, 02903|