A Study of Ramucirumab (IMC-1121B) in Combination With Eribulin Versus Eribulin Alone in Participants With Breast Cancer
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01427933|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : September 2, 2011
Results First Posted : August 19, 2014
Last Update Posted : February 6, 2017
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Breast Cancer||Biological: Ramucirumab (IMC-1121B) Drug: Eribulin||Phase 2|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||141 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||An Open-Label, Multicenter, Randomized, Phase 2 Study Evaluating the Efficacy and Safety of Ramucirumab (IMC-1121B) Drug Product in Combination With Eribulin Versus Eribulin Monotherapy in Unresectable, Locally-Recurrent or Metastatic Breast Cancer Patients Previously Treated With Anthracycline and Taxane Therapy|
|Study Start Date :||November 2011|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||September 2013|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||June 2014|
Experimental: Ramucirumab and Eribulin
Ramucirumab 10 milligrams/kilogram (mg/kg) administered by intravenous (IV) infusion on Day 1 of each 3-week cycle
Eribulin 1.4 milligrams/square meter (mg/m²) administered by IV bolus on Day 1 and Day 8 of each 3-week cycle
Biological: Ramucirumab (IMC-1121B)
Other Name: LY3009806
Active Comparator: Eribulin Monotherapy
Eribulin 1.4 mg/m² administered by IV bolus on Day 1 and Day 8 of each 3-week cycle
- Progression‐Free Survival (PFS) [ Time Frame: Start of treatment until documented disease progression or death from any cause up to 16.5 months ]PFS was defined as time from date of randomization until the date of objectively determined progression defined by Response Evaluation Criteria in Solid Tumors (RECIST v1.1) criteria or death from any cause, whichever is first. Progressive disease (PD) defined as ≥20% increase in sum of diameter (SOD) of target lesion with the sum demonstrating an increase of ≥5 mm; appearance of ≥1 new lesions or unequivocal progression of non-target lesions. Participants with no baseline disease assessment were censored at randomization date, regardless of whether or not objectively determined PD or death was observed; participants not known to have died or to have objective progression as of data inclusion cutoff date were censored at last post baseline radiological assessment date or randomization date, if there was no post baseline radiological assessment.
- Overall Survival (OS) Randomization to Date of Death From Any Cause [ Time Frame: Randomization to date of death from any cause up to 28.6 months ]Time from the date of randomization to the date of death from any cause. For participants who were not known to have died as of the data-inclusion cut-off date, OS data were censored on the last date the participants were known to be alive prior to that cut-off date.
- Objective Response Rate (ORR) Percentage of Participants With Measurable Disease Achieving a Best Overall Response of Partial Response (PR) or Complete Response (CR) [ Time Frame: Start of treatment until documented CR or PR up to 16.5 months ]ORR was defined as the percentage of participants with measurable disease achieving a best overall response of PR or CR as defined by RECIST v.1.1. CR defined as disappearance of all lesions and pathological lymph nodes reduction in short axis to <10 mm. PR was defined as ≥30% decrease in SOD of target lesions. Participants who did not have any post baseline tumor response assessments for any reason were considered non-responders and included in the denominator when calculating the response rate. ORR for each treatment arm calculated as: [(CR + PR in the treatment arm) divided by (total number of participants in the treatment arm)] x 100.
- Duration of Response (DOR) Time of Response to Progressive Disease [ Time Frame: Time from Observed CR or PR to PD up to 12.1 months ]DOR was measured from the time criteria were met for first objectively recorded CR or PR until first date criteria for PD was met or death. Response defined using RECIST v1.1 criteria. CR defined as disappearance of all lesions and pathological lymph nodes reduction in short axis to <10 mm. PR was defined as ≥30% decrease in sum of diameter (SOD) of target lesions. PD defined ≥20% increase in SOD of target lesion with the sum demonstrating an increase of ≥5 mm; appearance of ≥1 new lesions or unequivocal progression of non-target lesions. Participants who were not known to have died and who did not have PD were censored at the date of the last tumor assessment prior to the date of any subsequent systemic anticancer therapy.
- Change in Tumor Size (CTS) [ Time Frame: Baseline, 6 weeks ]CTS was defines as the change from baseline measurement of target lesions to the post treatment measurement in participants with measurable disease. Change was assessed using radiographic imagining. Log ratio calculated as: log of (tumor size post baseline) divided by (tumor size at baseline). A negative result indicated a shrinking tumor.
- Number of Participants With Anti-Ramucirumab Antibodies [ Time Frame: Day 1 of Cycle 1, Cycle 3, Cycle 5 and 30 days after last dose of study drug up to 17.7 months ]The number of participants who developed treatment-emergent antibody responses after baseline. The antibody test can produce positive results in participants without ramucirumab exposure. Treatment emergent anti-ramucirumab antibody positive was defined as: when baseline titer was greater than 0 and post baseline titer was equal to or greater than 4-fold the baseline titer or if the baseline titer was not detected and post baseline titer is equal to or greater than a value of 20.
- Number of Participants With Adverse Events (AE) and Participants Who Died [ Time Frame: Baseline up to end of treatment and within 30 days of last dose of study drug (22.6 months) ]Participants who died or who had clinically significant events defined as serious AEs (SAEs) and other non-serious AEs (regardless of causality). A summary of SAEs and other non-serious AEs, regardless of causality, is located in the Reported Adverse Events module.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01427933
Show 52 Study Locations
|Study Director:||Call 1-877-CTLILLY (1-877-285-4559) or 1-317-615-4559 Mon - Fri 9 AM - 5 PM Eastern time (UTC/GMT - 5 hours, EST)||Eli Lilly and Company|