Study on Efficacy and Safety of Chondroitin Sulfate + Glucosamine Hydrochloride Versus Celecoxib in Knee Osteoarthritis (MOVES)
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01425853|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : August 30, 2011
Results First Posted : February 26, 2016
Last Update Posted : February 26, 2016
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Knee Osteoarthritis||Drug: Chondroitin/Glucosamine (Droglican) Drug: Celecoxib||Phase 4|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||606 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Quadruple (Participant, Care Provider, Investigator, Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||Non-Inferiority Clinical Trial On The Efficacy And Safety Of Chondroitin Sulfate And Glucosamine Hydrochloride In Combination Versus Celecoxib In Patients With Knee Osteoarthritis|
|Study Start Date :||September 2011|
|Primary Completion Date :||April 2013|
|Study Completion Date :||May 2013|
Experimental: Chondroitin/Glucosamine (Droglican)
Active ingredients: Chondroitin sulfate, 200 mg and Glucosamine hydrochloride 250 mg.
Pharmacotherapeutic group: Other specific antirheumatic agents. Anatomical Therapeutic Chemical Classification System (ATC) code: M01CX.
Drug: Chondroitin/Glucosamine (Droglican)
Other Name: Chondroitin sulfate/ Glucosamine hydrochloride
Active Comparator: Celecoxib
Active ingredient: Celecoxib, 200 mg. Pharmacotherapeutic group: Coxibs. ATC code: M01AH.
- WOMAC Pain Subscale [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Western Ontario & McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index (WOMAC) Pain subscale Score Range: 0 (no pain) - 500 (maximum pain) The study was designed such that the outcome of primary interest is knee pain related to OA. The measure selected to best evaluate this is an improvement in the WOMAC pain subscales. This subscale consists of 5 items which assesses the pain during walking, using stairs, in bed, sitting or lying, and standing.
- WOMAC Stiffness Subscale [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Western Ontario & McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index, from 0 No Stiffness to 200 Maximum Stiffness WOMAC stiffness subscale was used to measure the stiffness of the knee with pain. Two items are used to assess stiffness grade: after first waking and later in the day.
- WOMAC Function Subscale [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Western Ontario & McMaster Universities Osteoarthritis Index, from 0 No Function to 1700 Maximum Function WOMAC functional limitation subscale was used to measure the functionality of the knee with pain. Seventeen items are used to assess functionality of the knee: tair use, rising from sitting, standing, bending, walking, getting in / out of a car, shopping, putting on / taking off socks, rising from bed, lying in bed, getting in / out of bath, sitting, getting on / off toilet, heavy household duties, light household duties.
- Huskisson's VAS [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Visual Analogue Scale: 0 No Pain 100 Maximum Pain Huskisson's VAS measures global pain intensity. Patients were asked to quantify their disease status on a 100 mm VAS as follows: "Please indicate the severity of knee pain experienced during the last 48 hours by marking a (I) through the line". Left hand marker represents "No pain" and right hand marker represents "The worst pain imaginable".
- Percentage of Participants With Response as Defined by Outcome Variables for Osteoarthritis Clinical Trials - Osteoarthritis Research Society International (OMERACT-OARSI) [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
The OARSI Standing Committee for Clinical Trials Response Criteria Initiative and the OMERACT committee, in concert with the international rheumatology community, has led to the development of a uniform core set of outcome measures for OA. One of the objectives was to propose a set of criteria for measurement based on multiple domains to present the results of changes after treatment in symptomatic parameters as a single variable for clinical trials.
To be considered as responder patients should met one the following criteria:
- High improvement in pain or in function ≥ 50% and absolute change ≥ 20 or
Improvement in at least 2 of the 3 following:
- Pain ≥ 20% and absolute change ≥ 10
- Function ≥ 20% and absolute change ≥ 10
- Patient's global assessment ≥ 20% and absolute change ≥ 10
- Percentage of Presence of Joint Swelling [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Study knees were evaluated at each visit for the presence or absence of swelling and/or effusion.
- Percentage of Presence of Joint Effusion [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Study knees were evaluated at each visit for the presence or absence of swelling and/or effusion.
- Consumption of Rescue Medication [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
Use of rescue medication as number of paracetamol tablets 500 mg since the last visit. The tablet count was reconciled with the patient diary.
Total Number of pills per month
- Patient's Global Assessment (PGA) and Investigator's Global Assessment (IGA) of Disease Activity [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Patients were asked to quantify their disease status on a VAS scale with range 0 mm (best) and 100 mm (worst) as follows: "Considering all the ways your arthritis of the knee affects you, mark (I) on the scale how well you are doing." Left hand marker "Very Well", Right hand marked "Very Poor".
- Patient's and Investigator's Global Assessment of Response to Therapy [ Time Frame: 6 months ]The investigator were asked to evaluated the patient's response to therapy of the index knee by marking a (I) a VAS scale with range 0 mm (best) and 100 mm (worst) as follows: Left hand marker "Excellent-Best possible anticipated response, considering the severity and stage of the disease", right hand marker "None-no response, absence of drug effect".
- Health Status According to EuroQoL [ Time Frame: 6 months ]
EuroQoL-5D was a standardized instrument for use as a measure of health outcome that provides a simple descriptive profile and a single index value for health status. It was assessed at all of the study visits.
The EQ-5D-3L essentially consists of 2 pages - the EQ-5D descriptive system (page 2) and the EQ visual analogue scale (EQ VAS) (page 3). The EQ-5D-3L descriptive system comprises the following 5 dimensions: mobility, self-care, usual activities, pain/discomfort and anxiety/depression. Each dimension has 3 levels: no problems, some problems, extreme problems. Total scale range for each dimension reported is 1 to 3.
The EQ VAS records the respondent's self-rated health on a vertical, visual analogue scale where the endpoints are labelled 'Best imaginable health state' and 'Worst imaginable health state'. This information can be used as a quantitative measure of health outcome as judged by the individual respondents.
Total scale range for VAS dimension reported is 0 to 100.
- Number of Participants With at Least One Adverse Events [ Time Frame: 6 months ]The safety evaluation was done in the set of randomized patients who took at least one dose of the medication
- Number of Adverse Events Defined by Relationship With Treatment [ Time Frame: 6 months ]The safety evaluation was done in the set of randomized patients who took at least one dose of the medication
- Biomarker Analysis [ Time Frame: 6 months ]The following biomarkers will be evaluated: COMP, Coll2-1, Coll2-1 NO2 and Fib3-2
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01425853
|Hospital Universitario La Paz|
|Madrid, Spain, 28046|
|Principal Investigator:||Jordi Monfort, MD||Principal Investigator|