Perception Prognosis, Goals of Treatment, and Communication
The purpose of this research study is to assess what the participant understands about their illness, prognosis, the goals of the cancer treatment and their communication with their oncology providers. This study will help us to figure out how the investigators can improve how other patients understand their illness and goals of treatment and help us improve communication with their doctors. This research is being done because there is not a lot of information on how much patients understand about their illness and prognosis.
|Study Design:||Observational Model: Case-Only
Time Perspective: Cross-Sectional
|Official Title:||Pilot Study to Investigate Advanced Cancer Patient's Perspective of Their Prognosis, Goals of Treatment, and Quality of Communication With Their Oncologists|
- Completion of surveys [ Time Frame: 1 year ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Patients perceptions of prognosis, goals of care, and communication with providers [ Time Frame: 1 year ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Quality of end of life care [ Time Frame: 1 year ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Survival [ Time Frame: 1 year ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
|Study Start Date:||October 2010|
|Study Completion Date:||June 2014|
|Primary Completion Date:||October 2012 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
- Participants will be asked to answer a few basic questions regarding race, ethnicity, religion, relationship status, education, income, and living situation.
- They will then be asked to complete a questionnaire which contains questions about their mood, spirituality, quality of life and their understanding of their treatment and prognosis and their communication with their oncologist. They will complete these questionnaires in the clinic or infusion room on one of their regularly scheduled visit.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01401894
|United States, Massachusetts|
|Massachusetts General Hospital|
|Boston, Massachusetts, United States, 02114|
|Principal Investigator:||Jennifer Temel, MD||Massachusetts General Hospital|