Effect of Dietary DHA Supplementation on Sperm Quality
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01368484|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : June 8, 2011
Last Update Posted : June 8, 2011
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|SPERM||Dietary Supplement: Sunflower oil Dietary Supplement: Docosahexanoic acid||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||120 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Double (Participant, Investigator)|
|Official Title:||Effect of Dietary DHA Supplementation on Sperm Quality.|
|Study Start Date :||December 2009|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||December 2010|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||March 2011|
|Placebo Comparator: Sunflower oil||
Dietary Supplement: Sunflower oil
1500 mg sunflower/day for 10 weeks
|Experimental: Docosahexanoic acid||
Dietary Supplement: Docosahexanoic acid
1500mg/day for 10 weeks
- sperm concentration [ Time Frame: 5 weeks ]million of spermatozoa per milimitre
- Sperm motility [ Time Frame: 5 weeks ]Percentage of motile sperm.
- Sperm morphology [ Time Frame: 5 weeks ]Percentage of sperm with normal morphology
- Total capacity antioxidant [ Time Frame: 5 weeks ]Total antioxidant capacity (TAC)is a colorimetric assay that measure the combined antioxidant activities of all its non enzymatic constituents in seminal plasma.
- Sperm DNA damage. [ Time Frame: 5 weeks ]DNA fragmentation analysis was evaluated by TUNEL test and measured by flow cytometry
- Fatty acids measure. [ Time Frame: 5 weeks ]Fatty acid analysis in seminal plasma and spermatozoa were evaluated by gas chromatography.The percentage of each fatty acid class was expressed as percentage of total fatty acids.
- Sperm in ejaculate [ Time Frame: 5 weeks ]Million of spermatozoa in eyaculate.
- Volume of ejaculate. [ Time Frame: 5 weeks ]Eyaculated milliliters.
- Sperm viability [ Time Frame: 5 weeks ]Porcentage of sperm whitout membrane damage
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01368484
|Instituto Valenciano de infertilidad|
|Murcia, Spain, 30007|
|Principal Investigator:||Martinez Soto, Juan Carlos||IVI Murcia|
|Study Director:||Landeras Gutierrez, Jose||IVI Murcia|
|Study Chair:||Nicolas Arnau, Maria||IVI Murcia|
|Study Chair:||Fernandez Olmedilla, Laura||IVI Murcia|
|Study Chair:||Albero Pilar||IVI Murcia|
|Study Chair:||Domingo JC||University of Barcelona|