Yoga for Persons With Severe Visual Impairment (RPY)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01366677|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : June 6, 2011
Last Update Posted : May 26, 2014
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Sleep Disturbance Stress Anxiety Depression Balance Impairment||Behavioral: Yoga Intervention|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||21 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||Single (Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||Development of a Yoga Intervention for Symptoms Related to Severe Visual Impairment|
|Study Start Date :||August 2010|
|Primary Completion Date :||December 2013|
|Study Completion Date :||December 2013|
|Experimental: Yoga Therapy||
Behavioral: Yoga Intervention
Three yoga classes per week for 8 weeks.
Other Name: Yoga, Ashtanga
- Static Balance [ Time Frame: Week 0 and Week 8. ]Measures will be assessed at baseline (Week 0) and immediately after the 8-week intervention at Week 8.
- Perceived Stress Scale [ Time Frame: Week 0 and Week 8 ]Measures will be assessed at baseline (Week 0) and immediately after the 8-week intervention at Week 8.
- Profile of Mood States - Short Form [ Time Frame: Week 0 and Week 8 ]Measures will be assessed at baseline (Week 0) and immediately after the 8-week intervention at Week 8.
- Exit Survey [ Time Frame: Week 8 ]The exist survey is administered immediately after the intervention during Week 8.
- Fear of Falling Questionnaire [ Time Frame: Week 0 and Week 8 ]
- Treatment Validation [ Time Frame: Week 0, Week 4 and Week 8 ]
Three measures will be collected to assess the benefits of the AYT, compliance, fidelity of treatment and evaluate the participant's experience.
- The Philadelphia Mindfulness Scale (PHLMS).
- Practice/Homework Logs.
- Treatment Fidelity.
- Physical Function [ Time Frame: Week 0 and Week 8 ]Body Mass Index (BMI), systemic blood pressure, and respiratory rate, the International Physical Activity Questionnaire (IPAQ) and flexibility measures.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01366677
|United States, Maryland|
|Lions Vision and Research Rehabilitation|
|Baltimore, Maryland, United States, 21205|
|Principal Investigator:||Ava Bittner, PhD, OD||Johns Hopkins University|