Gemcitabine and ON 01910.Na in Previously Untreated Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer (ONTRAC)
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01360853|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : May 26, 2011
Last Update Posted : August 4, 2016
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Metastatic Pancreatic Adenocarcinoma||Drug: ON 01910.Na Drug: Gemcitabine||Phase 3|
This will be a Phase III study with sample size recalculation after 100 events have occurred. The study will be open-label, randomized, controlled, multi-center and will be conducted at approximately 200 to 300 study sites (60 to 80 study sites in the first portion of the trial).
In the first portion of the study, a total of 150 patients with metastatic pancreatic cancer who have received no prior chemotherapy for this disease will be randomized in a 2:1 fashion to 1 of the 2 following treatment regimens:
- Arm A: Gemcitabine 1000 mg/m2 weekly for 3 weeks of a 4 week cycle + ON 01910.Na 1800 mg/m2 via 2 hr continuous intravenous infusion (CIV) infusions administered twice weekly for 3 weeks of a 4 week cycle (approximately 100 patients)
- Arm B: Gemcitabine only, 1000 mg/m2 weekly for 3 weeks of a 4 week cycle (approximately 50 patients).
Patients will be stratified at entry using the Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group (ECOG) performance status (ECOG scores of 0 1 vs. ECOG scores of 2; patients with higher scores will not be enrolled).
Patients will remain on study until disease progression or death from any cause, whichever comes first. Moreover, after treatment discontinuation for any cause, all patients will be followed until death.
After 150 patients have been enrolled, accrual will pause and patients will be followed until 100 deaths have occurred. At that time, the Data Safety Monitoring Committee (DSMC) will oversee a formal interim analysis to compare overall survival (OS) between the 2 groups and may recommend early stopping for futility. If the study continues after interim analysis, then the randomization scheme will continue up to 364 patients or the newly-calculated sample size. The maximum number of enrolled patients will be 650. The number of clinical sites may be expanded up to approximately 200 to 300 centers.
Patients in the gemcitabine-only arm (Arm B) will not be allowed to cross over to the combined treatment arm (Arm A). In addition, no palliative radiotherapy will be allowed during the trial.
The primary analysis will compare OS in the ON 01910.Na + gemcitabine arm (Arm A) vs. gemcitabine-only arm (Arm B) once an appropriate number of events has been reached. There are 2 secondary efficacy outcomes: progression-free survival (PFS) and objective response.
Toxicity will be graded according to the National Cancer Institute Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events v4.03. Grade 3 and 4 hematologic toxicities and > Grade 2 non-hematologic toxicities will be monitored.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||160 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Phase III, Multi-center, Randomized, Controlled Study to Compare the Efficacy and Safety of Gemcitabine Alone vs. ON 01910.Na Combined With Gemcitabine in Patients With Previously Untreated Metastatic Pancreatic Cancer|
|Study Start Date :||May 2011|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||June 2015|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||December 2015|
Experimental: Arm A: Combination
Arm A: Gemcitabine, 1000 mg/m2 weekly for 3 weeks of a 4 week cycle, + ON 01910.Na, 1800 mg/m2 via 2 hr CIV infusions administered twice weekly for 3 weeks of a 4 week cycle.
Drug: ON 01910.Na
ON 01910.Na, 1800 mg/m2 via 2 hr CIV infusions administered twice weekly for 3 weeks of a 4 week cycle.
Other Name: rigosertib sodiumDrug: Gemcitabine
Gemcitabine 1000 mg/m2 weekly for 3 weeks of a 4 week cycle.
Active Comparator: Arm B: Gemcitabine only
Arm B: Gemcitabine only, 1000 mg/m2 weekly for 3 weeks of a 4 week cycle.
Gemcitabine, 1000 mg/m2 weekly for 3 weeks of a 4 week cycle.
- Survival [ Time Frame: 18 months ]This study's primary outcome is overall survival, defined as the time from randomization to death from any cause. All patients will be followed until death. Patients lost to follow-up will be censored at the time last known alive.
- Progression-free survival [ Time Frame: 18 months ]Progression-free survival is defined as the time from the randomization to documented disease progression or death. Patients who are alive and do not have disease progression by the clinical cutoff will be censored at the dates of their last tumor evaluation. Kaplan-Meier curves for PFS will be compared using a stratified log-rank test (stratified by ECOG status: 0-1 vs. 2). Hazard ratios and 95% confidence intervals will be estimated using stratified Cox proportional hazards models.
- Tumor size [ Time Frame: 18 months ]Objective tumor response rates using Response Evaluation Criteria In Solid Tumors (RECIST).
- Safety/tolerability [ Time Frame: 18 months ]Toxicity will be graded according to the National Cancer Institute Common Terminology Criteria for Adverse Events (NCI CTCAE) v4.03
- QOL questionnaire [ Time Frame: 18 months ]Quality of life (QOL) questionnaire, using the European Organisation for Research and Treatment of Cancer(EORTC) QLQ-C30 version 3.
- Biomarkers [ Time Frame: 18 months ]In this study, archival tissue will be collected and analyzed in order to identify molecular characteristics of pancreas tumors, which may confer susceptibility or resistance to gemcitabine alone or in combination with ON 01910.Na.
- Population Pharmacokinetics [ Time Frame: 18 months ]Measurement of ON 01910.Na in plasma of all patients in Arm A 1 hour after starting ON 01910.Na infusion at Day 1 and Day 15 in Cycle 1 only.
- Full Pharmacokinetics [ Time Frame: 18 Months ]At a limited number of sites, blood samples for measurement of ON 01910.Na and gemcitabine will be obtained at Cycle 1 Day 1 only, in a subset of 10 patients in Arm A, at the following 12 time-points: predose; 15 min after starting gemcitabine infusion; 30 min, immediately before ending gemcitabine infusion; 15 min after starting ON 01910.Na infusion; 30 min after ON 01910.Na infusion start; immediately before ending ON 01910.Na infusion; and, 15 min, 30 min, 1 hr, 2 hr, 4 hr and 8 hr after ending ON 01910.Na infusion.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01360853
Show 46 Study Locations
|Study Chair:||Wells Messersmith, MD||Anschutz Cancer Pavilion|
|Study Chair:||Lawrence P. Leichman, MD||Academic Oncology Gastrointestinal Cancer Consortium|
|Study Chair:||Antonio Jimeno, MD, PhD||Anschutz Cancer Pavilion|