Effect of Resveratrol on Age-related Insulin Resistance and Inflammation in Humans
Recruitment status was Recruiting
The purpose of this research is to study the effects of a medication called resveratrol on the body's response to insulin (a hormone to control blood sugar), on inflammation and/or on specific cells and processes in fat tissue, and on skeletal muscle metabolism and on brain function.
|Study Design:||Endpoint Classification: Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Effect of Resveratrol on Age-related Insulin Resistance and Inflammation in Humans|
- Peripheral Insulin Sensitivity [ Time Frame: Four weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]We will measure peripheral insulin sensitivity by determining the rate of glucose uptake
- Hepatic insulin sensitivity [ Time Frame: 4 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Endogenous glucose production will be used to determine hepatic insulin sensitivity
- Muscle mitochondrial function [ Time Frame: 4 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Muscle mitochondrial structure by electron microscopy and function by enzymatic assays.
- Inflammatory and Anti-inflammatory Markers in adipose tissue [ Time Frame: 1 month ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Inflammatory Markers: PAI-1, IL-6, TNF-a, iNOS Anti-inflammatory Markers: Adiponectin, Arginase 1 Will be measured in plasma
- Neuropsychological assessment [ Time Frame: pre and post clamp studies (4 weeks) ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Neuropsychological testing will be performed to assess cognitive function.
|Study Start Date:||March 2008|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date:||March 2015 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
1,000mg twice daily for 28 days
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01354977
|Contact: Stephanie Lawrenceemail@example.com|
|United States, New York|
|Albert Einstein College of Medicine||Recruiting|
|Bronx, New York, United States, 10461|
|Contact: Stephanie Lawrence 718-430-2903 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Principal Investigator: Preeti Kishore, MD|