Internet-based Cognitive Behavioural Treatment for Chronic Back Pain
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01329861|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : April 6, 2011
Last Update Posted : April 6, 2011
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Back Pain Lower Back Chronic||Behavioral: Guided Internet-based cognitive behavioural treatment|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||54 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Guided Internet-based Cognitive Behavioural Treatment for Chronic Back Pain Reduces Catastrophizing:a Randomized Controlled Trial|
|Study Start Date :||June 2004|
|Primary Completion Date :||May 2005|
|Study Completion Date :||August 2005|
Experimental: Internet delivered CBT
Internet delivered cognitive behavioral intervention, 8 weeks treatment.
Behavioral: Guided Internet-based cognitive behavioural treatment
Eight weeks internet-based cognitive behavioural treatment. Treatment consisted of education, cognitive skills acquisition, behavioural rehearsal, generalization and maintenance.
No Intervention: Control condition
Wait-list condition, received treatment after post-treatment assessment.
- Coping Strategies Questionnaire - catastrophizing subscale (CSQ) [ Time Frame: Two weeks pre treatment to two weeks post treatment ]Change from baseline in the catastrophizing subscale to two weeks post treatment.
- Multidimensional Pain Inventory (MPI) [ Time Frame: Change from baseline Two weeks pre treatment to two weeks post treatment ]MPI, assess psychosocial and behavioural consequences of pain. It´s divided into 2 sections and consisting of 8 scales. These are: Pain Severity, Interference, Life Control, Affective Distress, Support, Punishing Responses, Solicitous Responses and Distracting Responses.
- Pain and Impairment Relationship Scale (PAIRS) [ Time Frame: Change from baseline Two weeks pre treatment to two weeks post treatment. ]The questionnaire assesses beliefs and attitudes that patients have regarding pain and ability to function despite discomfort.
- Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale(HADS). [ Time Frame: Change from baseline Two weeks pre treatment to two weeks post treatment. ]HADS is designed to measure anxiety and depression in non-psychiatric patients treated at hospital clinics.
- Quality of Life Inventory (QOLI) [ Time Frame: Change from baseline Two weeks pre treatment to two weeks post treatment. ]The assessment yields an overall score and profile for 16 areas of life: health, self-esteem, goals and values, money, work, play, learning, creativity, helping, love, friends, children, relatives, home, neighbourhood and community.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01329861
|Study Director:||Gerhard Andersson, Professor||Linkoeping University|
|Principal Investigator:||Monica Buhrman, MSc||Uppsala University|
|Study Chair:||Elisabeth Nilsson-Ihrfelt, MSc||Uppsala University|
|Study Chair:||Maria Jannert, MSc||Linkoeping University|
|Study Chair:||Lars Ström, PhD||Livanda (private practice) Västerås|