Intensified Azacitidine in High Risk Myelodysplastic Syndrome (MDS)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01305460|
Recruitment Status : Unknown
Verified April 2015 by Groupe Francophone des Myelodysplasies.
Recruitment status was: Active, not recruiting
First Posted : February 28, 2011
Last Update Posted : October 29, 2015
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Myelodysplastic Syndrome||Drug: Azacitidine||Phase 1 Phase 2|
The study is an open-label, multicenter phase I/II study.
Treatment Regimen, Dosage and Duration:
Treatment will consist of azacitidine 75mg/m2/d for 5 days every 14 days for 4 cycles (azacitidine-14, cycles 1-4).
- Patients achieving CR or PR will be then treated with 4 cycles of azacitidine 75mg/m2/d for 5 days administered every 21 days (azacitidine-21, cycles 5 to 8) followed by cycles of azacitidine 75mg/m2/d for 7 days administered every 28 days (azacitidine-28, cycles 9 and beyond), to be continued until progression/relapse or toxicity arises).
- Patients not obtaining CR or PR after the initial 4 cycles of azacitidine-14 will continue to receive azacitidine 75mg/m2/d for 5 days every 14 days for 4 additional cycles (cycles 5 to 8). If they achieve CR, PR or HI after 8 cycles, they will then be treated with azacitidine 75mg/m2/d for 5 days every 21 days (azacitidine-21, cycles 9 to 12) and subsequently cycles of azacitidine 75mg/m2/d for 7 days administered every 28 days (azacitidine-28, cycles 13 and beyond) until progression/relapse or toxicity arises.
- Patients not obtaining CR, PR or HI after 8 cycles of azacitidine-14 will go "off-study".
Number of patients to be included:
The trial will enroll at least 27 patients (phase I of the trial) and a maximum of 81 patients (phase II of the trial). A safety analysis will be performed by an independent DSMB after inclusion of 9, 18 and 27 patients. This safety analysis will focus particularly on the clinical consequences of cytopenias. Moreover, a teleconference will be organized twice monthly between the PI and investigators to share safety observations and take appropriate actions if needed. CRFs will be collected every cycle focusing particularly on the safety of this dose intensified study. All AE and SAE will be reported to the DSMB upon reception.
-Response rate (including CR and PR) according to IWG 2006 criteria for MDS after 4 and 8 cycles 75mg/m2/d azacitidine administered every 2 weeks.
- Safety/toxicity profile of azacitidine administered every 14 days (NCI-CTAE)
- Responses (CR, PR, marrow CR, HI) according to IWG 2006 criteria and their duration
- Overall survival and progression (IPSS/AML) free survival.
Sample Size and Duration of Trial:
The first stage of the trial will include 27 patients. The trial will be terminated if 9 or fewer responses are observed. Otherwise, additional patients will be recruited in the second stage until a total sample size of 81 patients is reached.
Duration of inclusion: 24 months for 81 patients Duration of follow-up: 24 months
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Estimated Enrollment :||81 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||A Phase I/II Study of the Efficacy and Safety of an Intensified Schedule of Azacitidine (Vidaza®) in Intermediate-2 and High Risk MDS Patients|
|Study Start Date :||July 2011|
|Estimated Primary Completion Date :||December 2016|
|Estimated Study Completion Date :||December 2016|
|Experimental: Azacitidine intensified dose||
Treatment will consist of azacitidine 75mg/m2/d for 5 days every 14 days for 4 cycles.
Other Name: Vidaza
- Response rate (including CR and PR) according to IWG 2006 criteria for MDS after 4 and 8 cycles 75mg/m2/d azacitidine administered every 2 weeks. [ Time Frame: 2 months ]After 4 courses treatment
- Safety/toxicity profile of azacitidine administered every 14 days (NCI-CTAE) [ Time Frame: 1-24 months ]After each course of treatment until end of treatment.
- Responses (CR, PR, marrow CR, HI) according to IWG 2006 criteria and their duration. [ Time Frame: 2-4 months ]After 4 and 8 courses of treatment.
- Overall survival and progression (IPSS/AML) free survival. [ Time Frame: 2 months and further ]After 4 course of treatment.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01305460
|Service d'Hématologie Clinique|
|CHU Albert Michallon, Grenoble, France, 38043|
|Amiens, France, 80054|
|Centre Hospitalier de La Cote Basque|
|Bayonne, France, 64100|
|Bobigny, France, 93009|
|CHU de Haut-Lévèque|
|Bordeaux Pessac, France, 33604|
|Centre henri Mondor|
|Creteil, France, 94010|
|Centre Hospitalier du Mans|
|Le Mans cedex, France, 72037|
|Lille, France, 59037|
|Hôpital Paoli Calmettes|
|Marseille, France, 13273|
|Centre Hospitalier de Meaux|
|Meaux, France, 77100|
|Nancy, France, 54511|
|CHU de nantes|
|Nantes, France, 44093|
|Hôpital l'Archet de Nice|
|Nice, France, 06202|
|Paris, France, 75004|
|Hôpital Saint Louis|
|Paris, France, 75010|
|Hopital Saint Louis - AP-HP, Hematology Dpt|
|Paris, France, 75475|
|CHU de Poitiers|
|Poitiers, France, 86021|
|CHRU Annecy Hospital|
|Pringy, France, 74374|
|Rennes, France, 35033|
|Hopital Purpan Service d'Hématologie Clinique|
|Toulouse, France, 31059|
|CH de Valence|
|Valence, France, 26953|
|Study Chair:||Lionel Adès, MD||Groupe Francophone des Myélodysplasies|
|Principal Investigator:||Simone Boehrer, MD||Groupe Francophone des Myélodysplasies|