Pilot Study of the Safety and Efficacy of Anakinra (Recombinant Human Interleukin-1 Receptor Antagonist) in Heart Failure
|Study Design:||Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: None (Open Label)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Pilot Study of the Safety and Efficacy of Anakinra (Recombinant Human Interleukin-1 Receptor Antagonist) in Heart Failure|
- Median Interval Change From Baseline in Peak VO2 [ Time Frame: 14 days ]
Peak VO2 is a measurement of oxygen consumption rate during exercise (milliliters of oxygen per minute). It is calculated by continuous measurement of oxygen consumed during exercise while patients breath through a mask/tube. To account for variability in patient size, the oxygen consumption is divided by patient body weight.
The outcome measure time frame was 14 days. This means that change in peak VO2 was calculated as the difference between peak VO2 at baseline and 14 days. To calculate this change, we used the mathematical process of subtraction (change in peak VO2 = Peak VO2 [day 14] - Peak VO2 [baseline])
- Median Interval Change From Baseline in the Minute Ventilation and Carbon Dioxide Production (VE/VCO2 Slope) [ Time Frame: 14 days ]
The VE/VCO2 slope is calculated as the ratio of minute ventilation (VE) and carbon dioxide production (VCO2). Because these measurements share the same units, the resultant ratio is unitless.
Change in VE/VCO2 slope was calculated as the change in VE/VCO2 slope between baseline and 14 days. We therefore calculated the difference between VE/VCO2 slope measurements that occurred at baseline and at 14 days (change in VE/VCO2 slope = VE/VCO2 slope [day 14] - VE/VCO2 slope [baseline])
- Interval Change From Baseline in Biomarkers (High-sensitivity C-reactive Protein, Whole Blood Assay, Brain Natriuretic Peptide) [ Time Frame: 14 days ]
- Interval Change From Baseline in Heart Failure Symptoms as Measured by Duke Activity Status Index (DASI) [ Time Frame: 14 days ]The Duke Activity Status Index (DASI) is a scale that quantifies patients' ability to perform various tasks. The scale ranges from 0 (unable to perform any tasks) to 58.20 (able to perform all tasks). Higher scores reflect improved activity or improved heart failure symptoms. Lower scores reflect worsened ability or worsened heart failure symptoms.
- Correlation Between Interval Changes in Biomarkers, Peak VO2, and VE/VCO2 [ Time Frame: 14 days ]
- Rate of Adverse Events and Hospitalizations [ Time Frame: 14 days ]
|Study Start Date:||February 2011|
|Study Completion Date:||August 2011|
|Primary Completion Date:||August 2011 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Anakinra 100 mg subcutaneous injection daily
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01300650
|United States, Virginia|
|Virginia Commonwealth University|
|Richmond, Virginia, United States, 23298|
|Principal Investigator:||Benjamin W Van Tassell, PharmD||Virginia Commonwealth University|