The Effect of Early WBVT on Neuromuscular Control After ACLR (WBVT)
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01300182|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : February 21, 2011
Last Update Posted : February 13, 2013
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment|
|Rupture of Anterior Cruciate Ligament||Other: Whole body vibration therapy Other: Control|
The knee joint position sense, postural control, muscular strength and functional ability after anterior cruciate ligament construction (ACLR) are distorted, and even after a period of rehabilitation.
Previous studies had demonstrated that there was improvement in knee joint, postural balance, muscle strength and functional outcome in elderly, stroke and spastic patients already. It has also been concluded that the balance in elderly, postmenopausal women, Parkinson's disease, multiple sclerosis, stroke and spastic patients were all significantly improved. Some studies showed that the proprioception in osteoarthritis patients significantly improve. Knee strength is also one of the aspect being improved.
However, no studies focus on the early effect of WBVT on knee joint proprioception, postural control, muscle strength, knee joint stability and functional ability in ACLR cases. This study is to answer this research gap.
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||48 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Parallel Assignment|
|Masking:||Single (Outcomes Assessor)|
|Official Title:||The Effect of Early Whole-Body Vibration Therapy on Neuromuscular Control After Anterior Cruciate Ligament Reconstruction|
|Study Start Date :||November 2010|
|Primary Completion Date :||February 2012|
|Study Completion Date :||February 2012|
Experimental: Whole body vibration therapy
Whole body vibration therapy on top of conventional physiotherapy treatment.
Other: Whole body vibration therapy
The WBVT will be carried out in a vibration plates operated in vertical direction. The frequency of that vibration can be adjusted step of 5Hz with vibration frequency ranges from 20Hz to 60Hz. The amplitude can be set as 4mm.
Other Name: Fitvibe Excel Pro - model number: 332015 (N.V. GymnaYniphy, Bilzen, Belgium)
Active Comparator: Control
Conventional post-operative physical therapy rehabilitation exercises.
Conventional post-operative physical therapy exercises and rehabilitation.
- Joint position sense [ Time Frame: 1-month post-operation, 3-months post-operation, 6-months post-operation ]Using Biodex Dynamometer (Biodex Medical Systems, Shirley, NY, USA) for measurement.
- Muscle isokinetic strength [ Time Frame: Pre-operation, 3-months post-operation, 6-months post-operation ]Using Cybex NORM dynamometer for measurement.
- Postural control [ Time Frame: 1-month post-operation, 3-months post-operation, 6-months post-operation ]Using Biodex Stability System (BSS; Biodex Medical Systems, Shirley, NY, USA with software version 3.1) for measurement
- Functional Outcome [ Time Frame: Pre-operation and 6-months post-operation ]
- single leg hop test
- triple leg hop test
- caricoca test
- Shuttle run test
- Knee joint stability [ Time Frame: Pre-operation, 3-months post-operation, 6-months post-operation ]
- Knee range of motion [ Time Frame: 6-months post operation ]
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01300182
|Physiotherapy Department, Prince of Wales Hospital|
|Shatin, Hong Kong, 852|
|Principal Investigator:||Chak Lun Allan Fu||Physiotherapy Department, Prince of Wales Hospital|