Outreach Visits to Optimize Chronic Care Management in General Practice: A Cluster Randomized Trial (Output)
The aim of this project is to motivate and support general practice clinics in implementing the visions and recommendations presented in two of the disease specific programmes for chronic care management (for chronic obstructive lung disease and Type 2 diabetes). These programmes describe evidence based treatment and division of tasks between the municipalities, the hospitals and general practice.
The Facilitator Project is funded by The Danish Ministry of Interior and Health.
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Intervention Model: Crossover Assignment
Masking: Open Label
Primary Purpose: Health Services Research
|Official Title:||Outreach Visits to Optimize Chronic Care Management in General Practice: A Cluster Randomized Trial|
- Change from baseline at 12 month in Annual systematic chronic disease follow up consultations [ Time Frame: Month 4, 3, 2 before baseline and month 13,14,15 after baseline (after intervention) ]Change in annual systematic chronic disease controls per person affiliated with a primary care at a period at baseline and at 12 month.
- ICPC diagnosis coding [ Time Frame: 12 months ]Self reports regarding the use of ICPC diagnosis coding for Type 2 Diabetes and Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease.
- Sentinel Data Capture [ Time Frame: 12 months ]Application for the electronic Sentinel Data Capture module for overview of patients with chronic diseases.
- Stratification [ Time Frame: 12 months ]The self reported use of stratification as part of primary care management of patients with chronic diseases
- Change from baseline and at 12 month in practices with low performance on annual systematic chronic disease follow up consultations. [ Time Frame: Month 4, 3, 2 before baseline and month 13,14,15 after baseline (after intervention) ]Reduction in the number of practices with less than 1% annual systematic chronic disease follow up consultations.
|Study Start Date:||March 2011|
|Study Completion Date:||April 2012|
|Primary Completion Date:||February 2012 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Experimental: Outreach visits
Practices allocated to outreach visits may receive up to three outreach visits in order to motivate and support general practice clinics in implementing two chronic care programmes for chronic obstructive Pulmonary disease and Type 2 diabetes.
Behavioral: Outreach visits
The 16 facilitators in the project attend an educational programme designed to provide them with the necessary skills and tools for the task. The facilitators visit general practice clinics from March 2011 until the end of 2012. Each clinic is offered three visits. The facilitator is to act as a change agent who motivates and helps the clinic team in the process of defining common goals, and choosing the appropriate means for achieving them.
No Intervention: Control (late intervention)
These practices are allocated to outreach visits after the initial evaluation stops at 12 months.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01297075
|Frans Boch Waldorff|
|Copenhagen, Capital Area, Denmark, 1014|
|Research Unit of General Practice|
|Copenhagen, Capital, Denmark, 1014|
|Principal Investigator:||Frans B Waldorff, PhD||Research Unit of General Practice|