Study of Placebo or Bosentan to Treat Patients With Single Ventricle Physiology. (TEMPO)
The purpose of this study is to determine whether Bosentan is an effective and safe treatment to adolescent and adult (15 years and older) patients, born with one ventricle of the heart instead of two (single ventricle physiology) and who have undergone TCPC as a palliative surgical treatment. The aim of the TCPC operation is to use the one functioning ventricle to pump the blood flow to the body, while the blood to the lungs is received directly from the caval veins, and is thus a passive flow, without the aid of a ventricle to actively pump the blood through the pulmonary circulation. The resistance in the pulmonary circulation is therefore critical to these patients. These patients have markedly lower work capacity in bicycle test than the general public. Furthermore they have a high risk of developing complications e.g. loss of protein from the intestines.
Bosentan is a medication that lowers the resistance in the pulmonary circulation. It is routinely used for patients with pulmonary hypertension. Some studies have shown that drugs that lower the pulmonary resistance can increase exercise capacity significantly in patients with single ventricle physiology.
In this study 80 patients will receive either placebo or Bosentan for 14 weeks. Before and after the treatment, bicycle test along with blood samples, stool samples and quality of life interviews will be performed. Every four weeks during the study blood samples, physical exam and interviews will be performed to ensure the safety of the treatment.
The investigators expect to find a significant increase in work capacity after 14 weeks in the treatment group compared with the placebo group.
Moreover the investigators hope to find a decrease in intestinal protein loss and an improved quality of life.
Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome
Other Specified Congenital Anomalies of Heart
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Endpoint Classification: Safety/Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Double Blind (Subject, Caregiver, Investigator)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Treatment With Endothelin Antagonist to Tcpc Patients; a Multicenter, Randomized, Prospective Study Measuring Maximal O2 Uptake in Ergometer Bicycle Test|
- Change from baseline in VO2max at 14 weeks [ Time Frame: Baseline and 14 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Maximal O2 uptake in ml/min/kg in ergometer bicycle test
- Change from baseline in blood samples at 14 weeks [ Time Frame: Baseline and 14 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]blood samples measured: plasma CT pro endothelin-1, IgG, IgA, NT pro BNP, albumin, free protein
- Change from baseline in SF36 questionnaire score at 14 weeks [ Time Frame: Baseline and 14 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]SF36 quality of life interview
- Change from baseline in feces alfa 1 antitrypsin at 14 weeks [ Time Frame: Baseline and 14 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]Fecal alfa 1 antitrypsin in mg/g
- Number of participants with adverse events [ Time Frame: 2, 6, 10 and 14 weeks after start of treatment ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]general interview on adverse effects, and questions with special focus on typical adverse effects in Bosentan
- Change from baseline in vital signs [ Time Frame: Baseline, 2, 6, 10 and 14 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]Systemic bloodpressure in mmHg, Pulse in min-1, Oxygen saturation in percent
- Change from baseline in control blood samples [ Time Frame: Baseline, 2, 6, 10 and 14 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: Yes ]Liver and renal biomarkers, Hb, PCV, trc and hCG for women
- Change from baseline in cardiac output/pulmonary blood flow [ Time Frame: Baseline and 14 weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]CO measured by Stringer Wassermann method during ergometer bicycle test
|Study Start Date:||February 2011|
|Study Completion Date:||March 2013|
|Primary Completion Date:||March 2013 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
|Active Comparator: Bosentan||
tablets Bosentan 62,5 mg x 2 daily for two weeks, then 125 mg x 2 daily for 12 weeks
Other Name: Bosentan: Tracleer
|Placebo Comparator: Placebo||
Placebo tablets 2 x daily for 2 weeks, then change to different placebo tablets to match Bosentan group, 2 x daily for 12 weeks
In the statistical analysis the investigators wish to analyse interactions between the primary endpoint and predefined subgroups in order to distinguish responders from non-responders to the treatment. The predefined subgroups are:
NT-proBNP > 100 (yes/no) Ventricular anatomy (RV/LV) CT-proEndothelin-1. In the latter, the investigators do not wish to predefine a specific value, due to limited experience with this analysis. We wish to use the data from the study to find a cut-off value, that is able to predict positive response to treatment.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01292551
|Aarhus University Hospital|
|Aarhus, Denmark, 8200|
|Copenhagen, Denmark, 2100|
|Lund University Hospital|
|Study Director:||Lars Sondergaard, DMSc||Rigshospitalet, Denmark|
|Principal Investigator:||Anders H Hebert, MD||Rigshospitalet, Denmark|