BKM120 as Second-line Therapy for Advanced Endometrial Cancer
This study has been completed.
Information provided by (Responsible Party):
Novartis ( Novartis Pharmaceuticals )
First received: January 26, 2011
Last updated: March 30, 2015
Last verified: March 2015
This is a prospective multi-center, open-label, single arm, Phase II study to investigate the safety and efficacy of BKM120 in patients with advanced endometrial carcinoma whose disease progressed on or after a first-line antineoplastic treatment. Patients will receive BKM120 orally at a dose of 100 mg/day. Availability of tumor specimen (either archival tissue or a fixed fresh biopsy) is mandatory for assessment of the PI3K (Phosphatidylinositol 3 Kinase (PI3K) pathway activation status.
Advanced Endometrial Cancer
Intervention Model: Single Group Assignment
Masking: None (Open Label)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
||A Phase II, Single-arm Study of Orally Administered BKM120 as Second-line Therapy in Patients With Advanced Endometrial Carcinoma
Primary Outcome Measures:
- Best Overall Response Rate (BORR) According to PI3K Activation Pathway Status [ Time Frame: 24 months ]
BOR was determined based on investigator assessment of overall lesion response using RECIST criteria guidelines.
BOR = objective responses rate (ORR), disease control rate (DCR) or clinical benefit rate (CBR). ORR = (complete response (CR) or partial response(PR); DCR = (CR or PR or Stable disease (SD); CBR = (CR or PR od SD >= 24 weeks)
Secondary Outcome Measures:
- Progression Free Survival (PFS) According to PI3K Activation Pathway Status [ Time Frame: 24 months ]
PFS is defined as the time from start of treatment to the date of first documented progression or death due to any cause. If a patient has not had an event, PFS will be censored at the date of last adequate tumor assessment.
- Overall Survival (OS) According to PI3K Activation Pathway Status [ Time Frame: every 3 months ]
Overall survival (OS) was defined as the time from start of treatment to the date of death due to any cause. If a patient is not known to have died, survival was censored at the last date of contact. OS was to be reported at extension and after 3-year follow-up. The Kaplan-Meier median was used to analyze the OS.
| Study Start Date:
| Study Completion Date:
| Primary Completion Date:
||March 2014 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)
Experimental: All Patients
Other Name: Buparlisib
|Ages Eligible for Study:
||18 Years and older (Adult, Senior)
|Sexes Eligible for Study:
|Accepts Healthy Volunteers:
- ECOG (Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group) performance status ≤ 2
- histologically confirmed diagnosis of advanced endometrial carcinoma with available tissue specimen for identification of PI3K pathway activation (archival tissue or a fixed fresh biopsy)
- one prior line of antineoplastic treatment with a cytotoxic agent
- objective progression of disease after prior treatment and at least one measurable lesion as per RECIST criteria
- adequate bone marrow and organ function
- previous treatment with PI3K and/or mTOR inhibitors
- symptomatic CNS metastases
- concurrent malignancy or malignancy within 3 years of study enrollment
- Active mood disorder as judged by investigator or medically documented history of mood disorder (e.g. major depressive episode, bipolar disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, schizophrenia, etc.), ≥ CTCAE grade 3 anxiety
- pelvic and/or para-aortic radiotherapy ≤ 28 days prior to enrollment in the study
- poorly controlled diabetes mellitus (HbA1c > 8 %)
- history of cardiac dysfunction or active cardiac disease as specified in the protocol
- impairment of gastrointestinal (GI) function or GI disease that may significantly alter the absorption of BKM120
Other protocol-defined inclusion/exclusion criteria may apply
Choosing to participate in a study is an important personal decision. Talk with your doctor and family members or friends about deciding to join a study.
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the Contacts provided below.
For general information, see Learn About Clinical Studies.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01289041
History of Changes
|Other Study ID Numbers:
2010-022015-19 ( EudraCT Number )
|Study First Received:
||January 26, 2011
|Results First Received:
||March 30, 2015
||March 30, 2015
Keywords provided by Novartis ( Novartis Pharmaceuticals ):
Advanced endometrial cancer
Additional relevant MeSH terms:
ClinicalTrials.gov processed this record on August 22, 2017
Genital Neoplasms, Female
Neoplasms by Site
Genital Diseases, Female