Investigation of Supra Fiber in the Treatment of Adults With Constipation
Background: Whether Supra-Fiber, a plum-derived fiber supplement is useful in the treatment of constipation is not known. Supra Fiber is the first fiber supplement that has a blend of whole food fruit as its main ingredient. It contains prunes, pomegranates, blueberries, and Acai berries. Unlike psyllium, which is mostly (90%) insoluble fiber, Supra Fiber is a balanced (50%) blend of insoluble and soluble fiber. This may provide the beneficial effects of fiber, and eliminate potential adverse symptoms of fiber such as bloating, distention, hard bulky stools and excess gas. In this study, we expect to not only evaluate the efficacy but also the palatability and tolerability of Supra Fiber in the treatment of chronic constipation.
- To investigate and compare the effects of Supra Fiber (5 grams BID) or psyllium (5 grams BID) on the number of complete spontaneous bowel movements per week, and bowel symptoms.
- To examine the effects of fiber supplements on taste and quality of life in adults with functional chronic constipation in a randomized, double-blind, parallel group controlled trial.
Methods: We propose to enroll 90 subjects with functional constipation in a single blinded, randomized, cross-over study comparing 4 weeks of Supra Fiber with 4 weeks of treatment with Psyllium
Data analysis: The primary outcome measure will be the global relief of constipation symptoms as rated by the subject at the end of each phase of the study. Additionally, we will assess several secondary outcome measures that will include the number of Complete Spontaneous Bowel Movements (CSBM) per week, Quality of Life , psychological profile, patient rating of taste on a VAS scale, patient rating of bloating, distension, satiety and fullness and patient rating of constipation-related symptoms.
Expected results: We anticipate that treatment with Supra Fiber will improve symptoms of constipation compared to the baseline. This improvement will be comparable or superior to that achieved with psyllium treatment. Additionally, Supra Fiber will offer a natural, food based, convenient and more tasty alternative to over-the-counter laxatives and fiber supplements.
|Study Design:||Allocation: Randomized
Endpoint Classification: Safety/Efficacy Study
Intervention Model: Parallel Assignment
Masking: Double Blind (Subject, Investigator)
Primary Purpose: Treatment
|Official Title:||Investigation of Supra Fiber in the Treatment of Adults With Constipation-A Double-blind Randomized Controlled Trial|
- Number of Complete Spontaneous Bowel Movements (CSBM) per week [ Time Frame: 9 Weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]1. Number of Complete Spontaneous Bowel Movements (CSBM) per week. This will be analyzed from the daily stool diaries (Appendix 1). The CSBM provides a more robust and better assessment of the overall change in bowel function that takes into account not only the stool frequency but also the completeness and satisfaction with bowel function. A CSBM is defined as a bowel movement that is produced without the use of additional laxatives, suppositories or enemas in the previous 24 hours, other than the study medication.
- Global Relief of Constipation [ Time Frame: 9 Weeks ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]
- Global relief of constipation.
- Other Parameters of bowel function including stool frequency, stool consistency (Bristol Stool Scale), Straining effort, Feeling of complete evacuation, bloating, and distension
|Study Start Date:||October 2010|
|Study Completion Date:||September 2014|
|Primary Completion Date:||June 2014 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
|Active Comparator: Supra Fiber||
Dietary Supplement: Supra Fiber
2 tablespoons of fiber taken with 8oz water taken twice a day for 30 days
|Active Comparator: Psyllium||
Dietary Supplement: Psyllium
1 tablespoon of fiber taken with 8 oz water twice a day for 30 days
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01288508
|United States, Iowa|
|University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics|
|Iowa City, Iowa, United States, 52246|