Exposure to Type II Diabetes for Two Siblings With the Same Parents (T2DM)
Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus
|Study Design:||Observational Model: Case-Only
Time Perspective: Retrospective
|Official Title:||Metabolic Traits of Adult Sib-pairs Discordant for Intrauterine Diabetes Exposure.|
- Risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) [ Time Frame: 2 days ] [ Designated as safety issue: No ]The purpose is to measure sensitivity to insulin, energy expenditure, fat content of the abdomen and skeletal muscle function in young adult sibling pairs who were raised together but who are discordant for intrauterine exposure to diabetes (i.e., the mother did not have diabetes during pregnancy with the older sibling, but did have diabetes during pregnancy with the younger sibling).
Biospecimen Retention: Samples Without DNA
|Study Start Date:||December 2012|
|Study Completion Date:||March 2013|
|Primary Completion Date:||March 2013 (Final data collection date for primary outcome measure)|
Exposure to Type II Diabetes for two siblings
Two sibling pairs with the same parents, between the ages of 20 to 34 in the Baton Rouge Area, having mother with diabetes while pregnant with one.
A one-time testing comprising of 2 days (32 consecutive hours). A medical history and physical including questions about medications, health status and symptoms are acquired at the fasting screening visit. Both siblings must meet all study eligibility requirements to be enrolled into the study. If enrolled for the 2 days, you will be in a metabolic chamber, dual energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) scan, biopsy, oral glucose tolerance test, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
- Metabolic chamber is a room is a sophisticated system that allows your oxygen / carbon dioxide exchange to be measured, thereby showing the number of calories you are burning.
- DXA is a scan that measure the amount of bone, muscle, and fat in your body.
- Biopsy is a procedure to sample muscle cells from underneath the skin.
- OGTT is Oral Glucose Tolerance Test from an IV line for blood samples once you drink a sugar solution consisting of glucose.
- MRI scan is to measure the amount of fat in your abdomen around the organs and underneath the skin.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier: NCT01275235
|United States, Louisiana|
|Pennington Biomedical Research Center|
|Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States, 70808|
|Principal Investigator:||Darcy Johannsen, PhD||Pennington Biomedical Research Center|