Exposure to Type II Diabetes for Two Siblings With the Same Parents (T2DM)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01275235|
Recruitment Status : Terminated (We were unable to recruit enough sibling pairs in a timely manner.)
First Posted : January 12, 2011
Last Update Posted : April 5, 2016
|Condition or disease|
|Type 2 Diabetes Mellitus|
A one-time testing comprising of 2 days (32 consecutive hours). A medical history and physical including questions about medications, health status and symptoms are acquired at the fasting screening visit. Both siblings must meet all study eligibility requirements to be enrolled into the study. If enrolled for the 2 days, you will be in a metabolic chamber, dual energy x-ray absorptiometry (DXA) scan, biopsy, oral glucose tolerance test, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI).
- Metabolic chamber is a room is a sophisticated system that allows your oxygen / carbon dioxide exchange to be measured, thereby showing the number of calories you are burning.
- DXA is a scan that measure the amount of bone, muscle, and fat in your body.
- Biopsy is a procedure to sample muscle cells from underneath the skin.
- OGTT is Oral Glucose Tolerance Test from an IV line for blood samples once you drink a sugar solution consisting of glucose.
- MRI scan is to measure the amount of fat in your abdomen around the organs and underneath the skin.
|Study Type :||Observational|
|Actual Enrollment :||10 participants|
|Official Title:||Metabolic Traits of Adult Sib-pairs Discordant for Intrauterine Diabetes Exposure.|
|Study Start Date :||December 2012|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||March 2013|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||March 2013|
Exposure to Type II Diabetes for two siblings
Two sibling pairs with the same parents, between the ages of 20 to 34 in the Baton Rouge Area, having mother with diabetes while pregnant with one.
- Risk of type 2 diabetes mellitus (T2DM) [ Time Frame: 2 days ]The purpose is to measure sensitivity to insulin, energy expenditure, fat content of the abdomen and skeletal muscle function in young adult sibling pairs who were raised together but who are discordant for intrauterine exposure to diabetes (i.e., the mother did not have diabetes during pregnancy with the older sibling, but did have diabetes during pregnancy with the younger sibling).
Biospecimen Retention: Samples Without DNA
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01275235
|United States, Louisiana|
|Pennington Biomedical Research Center|
|Baton Rouge, Louisiana, United States, 70808|
|Principal Investigator:||Darcy Johannsen, PhD||Pennington Biomedical Research Center|