Internet Obesity Treatment Enhanced With Motivational Interviewing (iReach2)
|The safety and scientific validity of this study is the responsibility of the study sponsor and investigators. Listing a study does not mean it has been evaluated by the U.S. Federal Government. Read our disclaimer for details.|
|ClinicalTrials.gov Identifier: NCT01232699|
Recruitment Status : Completed
First Posted : November 2, 2010
Last Update Posted : December 24, 2018
|Condition or disease||Intervention/treatment||Phase|
|Obesity||Behavioral: Internet Obesity Treatment Behavioral: Internet Obesity Treatment with MI Behavioral: Contingent MI||Not Applicable|
|Study Type :||Interventional (Clinical Trial)|
|Actual Enrollment :||495 participants|
|Intervention Model:||Single Group Assignment|
|Masking:||None (Open Label)|
|Official Title:||Internet Obesity Treatment Enhanced With Motivational Interviewing|
|Study Start Date :||December 2010|
|Actual Primary Completion Date :||April 2014|
|Actual Study Completion Date :||April 2014|
Active Comparator: Internet Obesity Treatment
Participants will attend weekly class sessions on line and track food and exercise in an on-line journal.
Behavioral: Internet Obesity Treatment
Participants will engage in self monitoring, will receive skills training to help cope with environmental triggers, and will receive nutrition advice.
Other Name: iREACH2
Experimental: Internet Obesity Treatment with MI
Participants will attend weekly classes on line, record food and exercise in an on-line journal, and will have no more than 6 individual motivational interviewing sessions.
Behavioral: Internet Obesity Treatment with MI
In addition to weekly group meetings, self-monitoring through recording calorie and fat intake daily as well as exercise, participants will meet one-on-one with an MI counselor on-line in order to augment an individual's motivation to change behavior.
Other Name: iREACH2
Experimental: Contingent MI
Intervention is the same as for the MI arm, however participants will only receive MI if meeting certain treatment participation conditions.
Behavioral: Contingent MI
Participants will attend weekly behavioral internet meetings. They may or may not receive Motivational Interviewing depending on their class attendance.
Other Name: iReach2
- Change in Body Weight [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Weights will be taken in street clothes without shoes using a hospital quality digital floor model scale.
- Change in Body Weight [ Time Frame: 12 months ]
- Change in Body Weight [ Time Frame: 18 months ]
- Change in body weight [ Time Frame: 0 ]Weights will be taken in street clothes without shoes using a hospital quality digital floor model scale. Height will be taken at baseline using a wall-mounted stadiometer and BMI will be calculated as weight (kg)/height(m2)
- Adherence to Treatment Components [ Time Frame: 6 months ]Items will include attendance at chat group meetings and completion of online food diaries and exercise records.
- Adherence to Treatment Components [ Time Frame: 12 months ]
- Adherence to Treatment Components [ Time Frame: 18 months ]
- Motivation Measures [ Time Frame: 0 ]We will assess participant motivation for participating in a weight reduction program and adhering to the program.
- Motivation Measures [ Time Frame: 6 ]
- Motivation Measures [ Time Frame: 12 months ]
- Motivation Measures [ Time Frame: 18 months ]
To learn more about this study, you or your doctor may contact the study research staff using the contact information provided by the sponsor.
Please refer to this study by its ClinicalTrials.gov identifier (NCT number): NCT01232699
|United States, Arkansas|
|University of Arkansas for the Medical Sciences|
|Little Rock, Arkansas, United States, 72205|
|United States, Vermont|
|Behavioral Weight Management Program/Univ of Vermont|
|Burlington, Vermont, United States, 05405|
|Principal Investigator:||Jean R Harvey Berino, PhD.||University of Vermont|
|Principal Investigator:||Delia Smith-West, PhD.||UAMS|